Wanted - VC Intrepid 1

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phishfinder

Feb 9, 2010
Canada
Hi Everybody!

New to the forum but in a look around it sure seems like an awesome place for all the old VC Stoves.

My wife and I just purchased an old log 1810 hand-hewn log home and the old owners left a beautiful red 1979 Resolute. The stove runs amazing and looks absolutely stunning. It's currently installed in the living room and does a good job heating the 1500 sq ft.

Our master bedroom also has a FP and we'd like to get the Resolutes little brother, the intrepid. We're looking for one in blue enamel and was curious if anyone could offer up suggestions on where we might start looking? Is it just a question of looking on Kijiji (I'm Canadian!) etc or does anyone here have something else they might suggest. This guy will not be running full time but will offer up some ambience when and if needed during our cold Canadian winters. :)

Thanks in advance.

Bedroom stoves are against code in most of the US, check local regs.

Thanks begreen! When we bought the home we had to get wett certification for the living room stove and had the guy inspect the chimney in the bedroom as well. He confirmed the chimney was in great shape and was the guy who'd recommended maybe looking at another stove.

I will follow up before I go ahead FOR SURE though! Much appreciated.

I did manage to find a little black intrepid that looks to be in good shape in my area. I understand, though, that there was a period when the VC stoves were not so good. How would I tell the timeframe of the stove?

The seller provided the number A680428C from the "backplate" and here is the link

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-fireplace-firewood/owen-sound/vermont-castings-wood-stove/1213659047

Any ideas?

It looks like it could be an original Intrepid stove. Price seems high for a 30+ yr old stove. It should be in top condition for that price. I feel sorry for the seller, he upgraded to one of the most troublesome VC stoves.

Yes, that is a model 1302. I have one. $800 CDN comes out to about $600 USD. Even in mint condition, that is a bit much. If you have your heart set on it and you have the money... But, there is no way I'd pay that.

Thanks guys! Once I confirm I can install in the bedroom I'll have a look and see if that price is negotiable.

Really appreciate your replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.