Wanting to build wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spud Monkey

Dec 30, 2013
Quilcene WA
Got a piece of 1/2" thick steel plate laying around here not exactly 4' x 8' sheet more like 4' x 5' 2.75" x 1' 4.75" x 2' 9.25" x 2' 7.25" x 8' was thinking of taking it to build a wood stove with measurements of 2' 7.25"W x 2'D x 2'H would I really need to put fire bricks in it or is that thick enough to not need them or is the metal just to thick all around for wood stove. Going to have to buy a 4' x 4' plate to make end caps but at same time curious if it would work, would it heat 1000 cubic ft of space up. Think I got a headache trying to type this ;lol

Firebricks are cheap, and make for a hotter cleaner burn. I'd use 'em.

Firebricks are cheap, and make for a hotter cleaner burn. I'd use 'em.
Yeah they are cheap just thought the only purpose for them was to prevent from over heating the firebox and causing warping in metal along with oxidation that would otherwise rot a firebox out cause of times it got so hot due to thinness of metal.

I knew a guy that had a big fisher stove, he took the bricks out to load more wood in it. It was used for a huge workshop though. FWIW a fisher stove is all steel plate with cast iron doors.

Sand....that would work too.

Making a basic box that burns wood is simple. Making one that burns cleanly and efficiently is a challenge.

mailbox stove 1.jpg

??? I have done pretty well scrounging the past few years. Follow road crews after windstorms. Get friendly with the local aborists and tree cutters. Or order a grapple load.

??? I have done pretty well scrounging the past few years. Follow road crews after windstorms. Get friendly with the local aborists and tree cutters. Or order a grapple load.
They want $400 a grapple load as I have seen, don't know how many cords that would equal to or if even one but sure looked pretty sitting in that dump truck. I been getting friendly with the person who cuts most firewood in town and follow him around.

Greetings, Like grandrimp, said leave ashes on the bottom, have your door high enough to allow for 3" to 4" of ash. I've used regular brick on the side of stoves I've made two or three high is enough, you have to use angle to keep them in place. Do it! It feels great to sit by a stove you've built your self. Have fun, keep warm.

Richard

Would this stuff work as good as fire bricks themselves so I could just mold it in? Wanting to go with a roundish design on interior for some odd idea I have which is why I want to skip the fire bricks. http://www.imperialgroup.ca/stove_maintenanceproducts.cfm?c=324
I think it would crack, crumble & fall apart. Furnace cement doesn't like movement (like the whole firebox expanding & contracting). Don't think it would like getting bumped while loading the stove either.
You could make a dome by cutting firebricks. It would be slow & tedious using many small pieces.

Reactions: Spud Monkey
Status
Not open for further replies.