Wants to use stand alone as fire place insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ekarlis

Dec 3, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
A friend of mine told me that he was going to use his Englander 25 PDV as a fire place insert. I told
him that I would not do that because you would void any warranty & libility from the mfg. The stove was not designed to be used as a fireplace insert. He said that he was going to use sheet metal to block off
the fireplace opening. I said Dude, your asking for trouble. You could afixaite you & your family. I think I convinced him. It is stupid things like this that cause the pellet stoves to get a bad name.

A friend of mine told me that he was going to use his Englander 25 PDV as a fire place insert. I told
him that I would not do that because you would void any warranty & libility from the mfg. The stove was not designed to be used as a fireplace insert. He said that he was going to use sheet metal to block off
the fireplace opening. I said Dude, your asking for trouble. You could afixaite you & your family. I think I convinced him. It is stupid things like this that cause the pellet stoves to get a bad name.
If you are placing the stove in front of the hearth or in the hearth, you have to be sure that the installation meets the requirements for an alcove installation. Even though the installation may not be an "alcove", it may have combustibles on left, right, back and top which makes it an alcove OR the air spaces surrounding the stove may be too narrow. PIA these can be sometimes, especially if the stove was not tested for alcove or as an insert...then you need the blessing from the AHJ (authority having jurisdiction).

Stoves without UL listings are not the end of the world....stoves being installed in a manner to which they haven't been tested doesn't make it bad thing...just not a tested thing. I run into 1 or 2 installs like this each year.

He may be able to install this stove in the hearth, question is...will the AJH sign off on it.

I have seen a PDV without the Pedestal on it for sale (insert). It looked as if it was made that way. It was a CL special, so I doubt it.

There new Generation 25-EP (25-EPi) can be used as both, a kit is sold to transform.

As long as no holes for airwash are blocked, block-off plates are installed, hearth is built to withstand high temps, and a full length liner is installed. I dont think it will be Unsafe.

Was he not going to run a liner or pellet vent up the chimney? Just let the gases naturally rise out! !!

Status
Not open for further replies.