Wards Master Quality Bench Vise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Going to look at one tonight, not sure of the size but were these a good vise.

zap

Sorry Zap, I've never had one of those. I just looked at a pair on E-bay for $65.00. The castings looked good, looked pretty solid. Check for any cracks, solid jaws- minimal wiggle, obvious abuse, bent handle (Yeah, just whack that sucker with a hammer, she'll tighten right up!) stuff like that.

Beetle-Kill said:
Sorry Zap, I've never had one of those. I just looked at a pair on E-bay for $65.00. The castings looked good, looked pretty solid. Check for any cracks, solid jaws- minimal wiggle, obvious abuse, bent handle (Yeah, just whack that sucker with a hammer, she'll tighten right up!) stuff like that.

It has a bent handle but the man said everything else looks good and the swivel works, he also has a front mount vise that came from a man that worked on clocks so I'll look at both.

I can't see spending the money for a ridgid for the amount of time I'll be working on it.

zap

I'd guess the front mount will be pretty light duty. The other one, since the handle is bent, run the vice closed and see how the jaws align. if you end up with one side tight, and a gap on the other, I'd pass unless it's pretty cheap. Imagine holding a bolt in the vise, but only clamped on the end of the jaws. Then smack the handle enough to bend it. How much torque and side loading can those castings take? I've broken cheap 8" pipe vices like that, split the castings in half. On this one, really look hard for hairline cracks starting. Bring a light.

Beetle-Kill said:
I'd guess the front mount will be pretty light duty. The other one, since the handle is bent, run the vice closed and see how the jaws align. if you end up with one side tight, and a gap on the other, I'd pass unless it's pretty cheap. Imagine holding a bolt in the vise, but only clamped on the end of the jaws. Then smack the handle enough to bend it. How much torque and side loading can those castings take? I've broken cheap 8" pipe vices like that, split the castings in half. On this one, really look hard for hairline cracks starting. Bring a light.

The vise was not in good shape so I left without making a purchase; talked with my neighbor and he said he has a couple of vises so he will dig them out and I'll see them on Thursday.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.