Warm ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Just picked up some free ash in the round. I left it in a pile after off loading the trailer. It was in the sun most of the day, yesterday. I started to split some around 7pm, when the shade started to cover it. After spitting and picking up a few I noticed how warm the pieces were inside. Has anyone else noticed this in the summer? I never thought the inside would warm up so much!

They will hold heat, cold to... :cheese:

A couple of my holz hausen partially collapsed this spring, so I have been restacking in my spare time. Last night at dusk, when the air had already cooled off quite a bit, I was stacking and as I walked past the firewood I noticed that my still standing holz hausen were giving off heat. The effect lasted until it become too dark for me to keep stacking. Firewood does seem to hold heat for a while. We have had excellent drying conditions, at least by Pennsylvania standards - there has been no rain and low humidity here just as Muncybob reported at his place a couple of hours east of here.

Wood Duck said:
We have had excellent drying conditions, at least by Pennsylvania standards - there has been no rain and low humidity here just as Muncybob reported at his place a couple of hours east of here.
It's been warm enough here, and another heat wave starting tomorrow, but the humidity has been pretty high. I'm thinking that in spite of the high RH (55% at its lowest throughout the day,) this heat has got to be speeding things along. This is the first year I've been attuned to the drying process so it'll be interesting to see how it progresses. I'm dropping and splitting all the dead Ash I can, but also trying to find stuff that's ready to burn, just in case. I think the Ash will be dry, even though I'm not splitting it super-small...
I need to get a scale, as skyline suggested...

Well that's all we need. Now our wood comes in heat too.... :roll:

The principle of conservation of energy states that energy can be neither created nor destroyed. It can only change forms.

When you burn your wood in your stove there is no more heat released than if the wood rots outside it is just a much slower process outside.

Bspring said:
The principle of conservation of energy states that energy can be neither created nor destroyed. It can only change forms.

When you burn your wood in your stove there is no more heat released than if the wood rots outside it is just a much slower process outside.

Not exactly. The final products are different. Humus produced during rotting, as well as the byproducts that might lead to "fossil fuel" type products have different enthalpy of formation than combustion gases. (The entropic difference is obvious as well)

Adios Pantalones said:
Bspring said:

Not exactly. The final products are different. Humus produced during rotting, as well as the byproducts that might lead to "fossil fuel" type products have different enthalpy of formation than combustion gases. (The entropic difference is obvious as well)

Humus will burn so will "fossil fuel" type products. I am talking from dust to dust.

Status
Not open for further replies.