warm house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

2cord8888

Dec 5, 2007
southeastern ma
I HAVE A WOODSTOCK FIREVIEW AND I AM HEATING MY 1400 SQ. FT. CAPE. IT IS NOT UNCOMMON TO EXPERIENCE 77 - 80 DEGREE ROOM TEMPERATURES. I HAVE AN OPEN FLOOR PLAN AND A CEILING FAN. I HAVE BEEN RUNNING MY STOVE AS A PRIMARY HEAT SOURCE FOR THREE YEARS NOW. IS THIS TYPICAL? MY WIFE AND I HAVE A NEW BABY AT HOME AND SHE WAS WONDERING IF THE ROOM TEMPERATURE IS A CONCERN.

Enjoy it when you can, and welcome. Not using use heater is a GOOD thing, and less heating
bills. I keep a steamer pot on my woodstove for moisture, other than that (don't complain), you could always
burn smaller loads, and or open a window slightly. :)

Sounds like you have a well placed stove. I am sure that many are in envy of your success. As stated above, you could try smaller fires if you feel you should have a lower temp. As far as 78-80 deg temps bothering a baby...I don't think so. Just make sure you don't dry the little tyke out (keep proper humidity level for temp) and you should be fine. Congrats on all levels and welcome to the forum.

Oh, and QUIT YELLING! Edit: ;-)

I would be in my skivies with 77-80 temps. We prefer low 70's max with about 40-50% humidity.

Welcome aboard and congrats on the new child!

sounds great. a warm house is nice, I woudlnt want the baby to sleep in 80 degrees though. they say 72 is better from what I hear. If it is comfortabel to you then it is to them

Thank you all for helping to ease my wifes concerns. Despite my best efforts, I just can't help but keep the stove going. In a well insulated home I guess all you can do is open a window from time to time. This is a great forum! How warm do some of you keep your house temps at?

YES! IT IS A PROBLEM FOR THE BABY!!!! Infants do not regulate their temperature as well as adults do, as when they are born, the nervous system is not complete. They easily become over heated, instead of cooling down when too warm. SIDS is most common in male infants from 1 month to 1 year, but we watch for it for 2 years. Normally an infants brain will tell it to wake up and cry, which will cause a rapid higher intake of oxygen when levels of carbon dioxide is elevated by TOO WARM A ROOM, BED CLOTHING AROUND INFANTS, CAUSING INFANT TO BREATH STALE AIR, HAVING A HIGHER LEVEL OF CARBON DIOXIDE. A baby should sleep in a cool room- 60-70 degrees! You are 10-20 degrees too high- making the incidence of SIDS rise. There are other reasons for SIDS- a part of the brain that is damaged, and does not tell the infant to breath when carbon dioxide levels are higher in the blood. SIDS IS MORE PREVELANT IN THE WINTER- WHEN SLEEPING AREA IS TOO WARM! Please, talk to your pedi- you are putting your infant at risk with a indoor sleeping temp of 75-80. When an infant is awake, he is more active, and the levels of oxygen/co2 are regulated by a more active/awake baby. If you can't talk to your pedi VERY SOON about this, try Googling SIDS- you will probably find some info- but make sure it is a medical site. Also, I am sure you have been told- NEVER put baby to sleep on his stomach, as when breathing into the bedding, bedclothes, blanket, causes the baby to breath stale air- that has a higher co2 level. Also, there is a theroy that it makes the jaw open, closing the airway. Please trust me on this- I have worked in Labor/Delivery, NICU for 30 years. Your nurse s during your stay at the hospital should have gone over this with you.

What we did was always closed the babies bedroom door so that room stays cooler. We have a 4 and 6 year olds and we still do close there rooms to keep them cooler.

2cord8888 said:
I HAVE A WOODSTOCK FIREVIEW AND I AM HEATING MY 1400 SQ. FT. CAPE. IT IS NOT UNCOMMON TO EXPERIENCE 77 - 80 DEGREE ROOM TEMPERATURES. I HAVE AN OPEN FLOOR PLAN AND A CEILING FAN. I HAVE BEEN RUNNING MY STOVE AS A PRIMARY HEAT SOURCE FOR THREE YEARS NOW. IS THIS TYPICAL? MY WIFE AND I HAVE A NEW BABY AT HOME AND SHE WAS WONDERING IF THE ROOM TEMPERATURE IS A CONCERN.

i aM vErY hApPy To HeAr ThAt YoUr StOvE iS wOrKiNg WeLl FoR yOu! I wOuLd ReCoMmEnd CaLiInG a PeDiAtRiCiAn FoR aN AnSwEr To ThIs QuEsTiOn.

-- mIkE

Attachments

• 486.jpg
    486.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 596
Why not regulate the stove down a bit and burn smaller fires? In the winter I would be pretty uncomfortable in a 78 degree house. That makes it much drier inside and too abrupt a change going outdoors.

burning chunk, are you a Dr?

How in the world did we ever survive before all the modern conveniences of the day?

Mike nailed it on the head. Call a doctor for your answer. I am sure that there is some sort of "perfect" formula for temp vs. humidity vs. sunlight vs moonlight vs planet alignment. Sheeeeesh.

Once you get past the "gotta keep it blazin' " phase, I'm sure you will be able to control the temps how you want them. Good luck with the stove and the baby (according to some.....never, ever let them get dirty either).

(we were talking about 77-80 deg right? Ya know, like the PERFECT temp to be sitting on the porch, in the evening, sippin' a cold one. "Better take the little tyke inside, its getting too warm for him to sleep safely out here". Holy crap.) 8-/

Yes, you have an oversized stove. But, you can just burn smaller fires and enjoy the view...

MOF- I just saw your post, and looked to see if I had a name - as far as I was concerned, I am 'ilmbg'! How did I get a name like that!!! Ha!! But anyway, no, I am not a Dr., I work in High Risk OB, Trauma I, Open Heart Recovery. I have worked High risk since 1985. I am in the process of moving back to a state where I was before, (it is too far behind times in Montana/Wyoming medically speaking- I want to get back to up to date practices!)- so right this minute am not working. Bloomfield Hills, MI- Beaumont Hosp./St. Joseph Hosp, Phoenix/St. Joseph Hosp, Bradenton, FL, Blake Hosp and sister hosp in Sarasota. United States Government.Public Health BIA. Why?

god bless ya!

Oh yes, how did we ever survive and how did we raise our children to become adults w/o brain damage?!

Years ago people worried about keeping the baby warm. Now they put them in a cold room and dress them warm and put lots of covers on them! I certainly would not want to put that baby next to the stove for sure but I would no worry about 78-80 degrees. What about summer time? How on earth can a baby survive those temperatures then?

We also keep our home very warm....many times over 80 degrees....and love it. Naturally we have to put some humidity into the air else it is not good but as long as there is humidity all is well. As I have stated many times before, I refuse to be uncomfortable in my home during the winter as long as I can heat with wood that we cut on our own land. I do not like to have to put a sweater on or wear heavy clothing inside my home.

Why do people feel that 80 degrees is to hot? Yet in the summer time they want more heat! 80 degrees is not warm enough in the summer! Go figure. In the meantime, please excuse me as I go put another log on the fire. btw, it is now 82 in our living room.

I have 2 and 4 year old daughters that were born is a rural hospital. Rural defined as I got one foot on my shoulder and the nurse took mommas other foot while "we" got her done. The children were born in December and the doctor's orders were to keep them warmer than typical 68 degree room temperature. Something about how they had just spent nine months at 98.6 degrees.....

We shoot for about 75 in the stove room and the other rooms get down into the mid 60s.

I think it is best to leave alone- I don't think you are the type of person who would consider learning. If I am wrong, I apologize- but please read up on Sudden Infant Death Syndrome/SIDS. It may save your baby. Putting a kid in a too warm environment does not mean it will die- it just increases the odds. Percentages are there for a reason- what percentage might your baby fall into? Time to get back to the damn pellet stove! (Harman is supposed to be the best....mine is crappy- what do you think the odds are that that would happen?....

My mom always left a window open a bit when we were babies, no matter what the season. Keeping babies sheltered from the cold, dirt, etc. can retard their immune system development.

yeah, back in my paretns days (40's) when a baby had a fever they would put you out on the porch in the cold!

If 78°F was dangerous to babies, we would all be born in late September to November and the day care centers of primitive people would be nice cool caves. There are literally billions of people with little or no air conditioning living in very hot places and they do not seem to have problem with increasing their population.

What will be bad for the baby is to pile him up with extra layers of clothing and blankets when it is 78°F.

dont get me going on daycare..

I would like to thank everyone for their input and advice. Our home was originally built with the second floor unfinished, therefore the builder stuffed the joist bays full of insulation. Because of this, We have found that the main living space on the first floor can reach 80 degrees while the second floor where we sleep will only be about 65 degrees, which is quite comfortable for sleeping. I have been told that local building codes will not permit us to cut registers into the ceiling for heat transfer, so the staircase is the only way for the heat to reach the upstairs. For the most part we have no problems, and we also keep a kettle on top of the stove for some additional moisture. The baby seems to enjoy the warmer temperatures during the day downstairs, and sleeps very well upstairs with just one blanket. He also would rather watch the dancing flames of the stove rather than the 4 year old's cartoons. We are thankfull that we do not have to pay 3.00 a gallon for heating oil thats for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.