Warm house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Richie

Burning Hunk
Aug 13, 2013
Central PA
The winter of 12/13 was the first time I ever heated with wood 100%. An unusual thing happened in that I did not complain about the cold weather at all. I usually kept the thermostat at our old house at 68 degrees and now have no trouble keeping it at 74-75 degrees. When you have that good warm heat, it really recharges your core heat level and I noticed that I can stay outside longer. My wife reported the same thing. The only downside is that the air is so dry the my kids hands looked terrible and my skin was on the dry side. The humidifier on our air handler is literally from 1971. Looking into a new one but there were terrible expensive.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I agree with you on the feel of the wood heat, and being able to keep the temps up with no real damage to your wallet. With regards to the humidity, my wife is good about keeping the kettles full and making sure I put on lotion often.

I just usually keep a pot on the stove filled with water when it gets low I just refill it, and it works.

The kettles on my two stoves run out a few times a day. Sometimes I wonder if I should install a spigot and hose near the stove :)

Reactions: dylskee
We put our washed clothes over a drying rack either in the room next to the stove or even in the stove room itself. With two young kids there is rarely a shortage of dirty clothes. :confused: The rest does our pot on the stove top.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I have 2 humidifiers running most of the winter.
Few gallons per day & it makes a huge difference, less dry sinuses & skin.

A good cool air mist humidifier does wonders. The house got so dry before we turned the humidifiers on that the crown molding was shrinking and I developed an open seam in our upstairs master bedroom. Try to get humidity in the house before the outside air humidity drops below 30-40%. This way you won't suffer the dry sinuses too.

BTW, we use Air-O-Swiss as our main unit. Really good quality.

We always have the kettle going, usually another pot as well for moisture. We make all of our coffee and teas on the stove in the winter, as well as stews and war soups. The only time we had issues with dryness was when I was down with pneumonia and didn't tend to the kettle like I should have done.

Sometimes I wonder if I should install a spigot and hose near the stove :)

Two words: Toilet ballcock.

I can't wait to be able to fire up the stove this winter. Last year, couldn't get the house over 20::C. Not a good feeling after getting home from a cold day at work. This year, I think will be different. Our first year with wood in this house.
As for the moisture, we are frantically searching for a kettle to put on top of the stove, but, not sure if it will work as we have a sort of baffle on the top of the BK King. Not sure if the stove will transfer enough heat through this to boil a kettle/pot. And, don't really want to put it on the very front. I guess we will have to try it and see.
King 3.jpg

We have some sort of heat shield on the top of ours which keeps the kettle from working real well, hence running an open pot as well.

For sure the house air can get pretty darned dry. We too have a pot of water on the stove all winter but besides that, my wife, rather than using her solar clothes drier in the winter prefers to use the heat from the wood stove. We notice the difference for several days after she does that. On the day she does the drying, I like to keep busy outdoors because I don't like the high humidity.

I always thought that ballcock was the technical term for jumping into a cold lake.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.