Warm weather effect on forum hits?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adrpga498

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2005
New Jersey
Craig, and or moderators. Have you seen any chnages to forum traffic due to warmer waether? Just wondering. It seems a little less posting ,or maybe do to the Holidays. CHEERS.

Well, it's the first time I've seen Bart show off a stove full of Natural Lights. Normally that stove would be a bit too warm to do that at this time of the year.

However, you could say that it was full of holiday cheer!

There are a lot less "my wood won't burn" and "top down" threads than this time last year.

I still think there is a lot of traffic to this site.
only very small % of people will post but will search for the info they need and go.
Most SMART people will use the search to find info insted of Posting a NEW topic on someting that has been posted 10 times over.

Our parts website sales are up about 10% this year but I think that has a lot to do with my keeping up on parts in stock.
Last year manufacures could not supply parts to us because they could not keep up with currect production on stoves.
My logs are showing for the past few months on my parts pages alone Im getting over 800 uniqe Visitors a day.
and google the most use search to find my site searching for pellet stove parts.

On topic: I can't compare it to last year, but this place seems pretty lively to me. I would like to see more people post new threads and more responses to the threads in general. But I also know folks can be shy, or perhaps wish to remain behind the scenes.

Off topic:

hearthtools said:
I still think there is a lot of traffic to this site.
only very small % of people will post but will search for the info they need and go.
Most SMART people will use the search to find info insted of Posting a NEW topic on someting that has been posted 10 times over...

I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with posting a new topic (thread) on an old subject. Sometimes people want to have the forum experts respond to their particular situation. Also, bringing up past subjects will invite newer members to post their ideas, which can bring some freshness. Even subjects beaten to death can turn into some comical colorful threads and adds to the levity on the forum.

I would NOT suggest that most SMART people search, plenty of SMART people don't search. Not to mention DUMB people search also.

Searching does not always yield the answer one seeks. I was looking for temperature ranges on infrared guns the other day. While I found them mentioned in numerous threads, I could not find but maybe 1 or 2 references to their range. So I asked a specific question in regards to the range of infrared temp guns.

-Kevin

Thank god for the intellectually superior member(s) that can identify the SMART and non-SMART members and decide which posts should be made.

wahoowad said:
Thank god for the intellectually superior member(s) that can identify the SMART and non-SMART members and decide which posts should be made.

And the ones that know who searched and who didn't.

hearthtools said:
Most SMART people will use the search to find info insted of Posting a NEW topic on someting that has been posted 10 times over.

Using that logic, Craig should have shut down the "New Post" feature on HearthNet about 6 years ago, because basically, everything has been said already.

Oh, and most smart people make sure they spell words like "instead" and "something" correctly before commenting on how smart other people are... but hey, I'll leave that up to the smart people to judge, not me.

-- Mike

Over time, the Hearth.com traffic tends to be similar:
BUT
Last year - after Katrina, it spiked to nearly double of what it would have been. Traffic stayed high right through the summer.
This fall, traffic is at relatively normal levels - like 2 to 3 year ago averages.

We usually get really busy in Jan, Feb and even March because folks come here when they are burning or freezing. But this year so far we are not getting a big increase now....it will probably happen instantly as soon as a big cold front hits.

So, yes, just like stove retailers and manufacturers, we get a bit of a downside when the weather is warming and heating costs are out of the news.

Yes and most Dumb people like my self Might not post at all or Answer questions because they are afraid of the spelling Natzis
I know kid that would not write papers for school because they were afraid they would be Failed because of SPELLING.
Im saying people are dumb for not Searching but I think it is Stupid to see two thread the same week for the same topic.
Some people like myself will not Respond to both Threads

er, that would be spelling 'Nazis" ;-)

hearthtools, lets hope the dumb people continue to ask questions so people like you can answer them!

BeGreen said:
er, that would be spelling 'Nazis" ;-)

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaaaahaaaa!!!

Hearthtools... We know what you are getting at. I'm not an expert here, but I am far more of an expert on forums of different subjects. And it is sometimes exhausting for the regulars to see the newbies ask the same questions over and over. But it's like you say, you have a choice not to answer them. Don't let it frustrate you, it's a regular part of forum life. But I thought the words you orignially wrote on the matter were a bit harsh, and could make the lurkers and newbies uncomfortable.

-Kevin

Weigle Tree Service said:
wahoowad said:

Dear Wahoowad,

God is spelled with a capital " G ".

Thank you.

depends on who you ask ;)

The usual rule for capitalization in English is that proper nouns, or names, get capitalized, while common nouns do not. In the phrase you quote above, "the Christian god," "Christian" should be capitalized, because adjectives derived from proper nouns, such as "Christ," are usually capitalized. However, "god" should not be capitalized, because the phrase is referring to one of many possible gods, the Christian god. "God" should be capitalized when it is used as the name of the Christian god. For example, "They prayed to God." But, "They prayed to the Christian god." Another example might be, "They prayed to the Roman god of the seas." When referring to that god by name, we capitalize: "They prayed to Neptune." So when the word is referring to a god as a type of thing ("the Christian god"), it is not capitalized. When the word is referring to the Jewish or Christian god by name, it is capitalized. Here is another example, which is oddly worded, but makes use of these principles: "They prayed to the Christian god, God." Marco polo 22:38, 16 October 2006 (UTC)

MountainStoveGuy said:
Weigle Tree Service said:
wahoowad said:

Dear Wahoowad,

God is spelled with a capital " G ".

Thank you.

depends on who you ask ;)

The usual rule for capitalization in English is that proper nouns, or names, get capitalized, while common nouns do not. In the phrase you quote above, "the Christian god," "Christian" should be capitalized, because adjectives derived from proper nouns, such as "Christ," are usually capitalized. However, "god" should not be capitalized, because the phrase is referring to one of many possible gods, the Christian god. "God" should be capitalized when it is used as the name of the Christian god. For example, "They prayed to God." But, "They prayed to the Christian god." Another example might be, "They prayed to the Roman god of the seas." When referring to that god by name, we capitalize: "They prayed to Neptune." So when the word is referring to a god as a type of thing ("the Christian god"), it is not capitalized. When the word is referring to the Jewish or Christian god by name, it is capitalized. Here is another example, which is oddly worded, but makes use of these principles: "They prayed to the Christian god, God." Marco polo 22:38, 16 October 2006 (UTC)

Thank you for the English lesson. Well said. Now I am in a quandary as who to " Thank".
I will have a word with the Almighty tonight.
But to keep in line with the original post, everyone I speak with these days is impacted by the warm weather on the east coast. Loggers, sawmills, ski slopes, tow truck operators, snow plow operators...... on and on.
One silver lining is the savings in energy costs for the elderly and fixed income folks. It really has to ease the burden for them.

Best

Don't foget the Jewish G_d.

It is considered in poor taste to throw his/her/it's name around in that religion. I sort of like that approach, even though I am in no way religious in the traditional sense.....
Let me know what the Allmighty says about the rest of the winter.

Webmaster said:
Don't foget the Jewish G_d.

It is considered in poor taste to throw his/her/it's name around in that religion. I sort of like that approach, even though I am in no way religious in the traditional sense.....
Let me know what the Allmighty says about the rest of the winter.

The Almighty says you better learn how to spell his name correctly, lest he send a pox upon your forum. :lol:

-- Mike

PS - Warm weather obviously impacts this forum. Most of us would be too busy tending our stoves to waste time posting about the fact that even in this age of computer generated spell checkers, most people can't properly spell words when attempting to poke fun at others. Remember folks, if you are going to attempt a jab at someone, its poor form to spell your words incorrectly. Hell, even Elk has apparently found out about spell checkers... congratulations Elk, my eyes thank you! ;-P

I've never been able to figure out what makes one so sure God is a he.

For all of those folks with stoves idling, I'd take advantage of this time to be sure there is a good supply of dry wood split and ready to go. What is projected to be coming down from Canada at the end of this week is going to be an abrupt change. We're supposed to start feeling the front edge by Wed or Thurs. but this looks big enough to cover a large part of the country by next week.

Attachments

• cold.jpg
    cold.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 164
BeGreen said:
What is projected to be coming down from Canada at the end of this week is going to be an abrupt change. We're supposed to start feeling the front edge by Wed or Thurs. but this looks big enough to cover a large part of the country by next week.

Perfect... right on time for my one week business trip to Miami & Key West. Winter... what winter.

-- Mike

I know that I usually do search before posting on something new, (one reason why my stats show that I've only originated a few threads compared to the number of posts I've made) but one thing I haven't seen here that I've seen much more often on other boards is people responding to "commonly asked newby questions" by posting links to FAQs or earlier "cannonical" threads. I think it is also helpful to say what I've searched on, so that if there is a reference I missed I can be pointed at it. (or save others the time of pointing me at it, depending)

This has benefits in that it saves the regular responders time in responding to the same questions repeatedly, but it is a bit less "welcoming" than a custom response... OTOH, it might be worth the effort for some of the more common stuff like code questions or other technical issues so that the overall response is "canned" and one can then get down to any individual nuances if there are still problems.

Gooserider

This newbie thanks all for responding. I always try to check for similar questions/ stove models etc. in the archives before posting. However, I agree that it helps to get direct answers to my particular question(s). My recent question about stove comparisons has been very helpful. I see a newbie posting asking about modern wood stoves - the type of question that get posted quite alot. Still, I find the responses generally helpful and they continue to fill in my "stove-gaps"(beats using silicone)
BeGreen, you're right about the cold weather coming this week. I'm bringing in some extra wood. My 2cents about spelling - I can spell - but I don't keyboard too well. I can and do spell check - but I'm not going to worry about every word - or at least I wasn't going to until now :)
And just how do you get those smiley faces to attach - is there a tutorial on how to use all the cool tools on this site - like quotes and close tags and that and stuff and an avatar ??
Darn, now I've forgotten what this thread was all about in the first place, but it sounds like we're splitting hairs when we could be out splitting wood.

BeGreen said:
I've never been able to figure out what makes one so sure God is a he.

For all of those folks with stoves idling, I'd take advantage of this time to be sure there is a good supply of dry wood split and ready to go. What is projected to be coming down from Canada at the end of this week is going to be an abrupt change. We're supposed to start feeling the front edge by Wed or Thurs. but this looks big enough to cover a large part of the country by next week.

Edit: And Note Key Reference To Original Post Was The Map.

Montana seems like such a nice place to live.

Status
Not open for further replies.