Warmer weather technique?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelryba

Mar 15, 2009
N.E. Ohio
We are having a break from the cold in these parts for a few days. We even had this big bright yellow thing in the sky yesterday...
One thing I've noticed and read on these pages is that the ash can really insulate the embers for a long time--days.
So my plan is to keep an extra inch or so (3-4" total) of ash/embers in the stove as a "bank." Then stir, crack the the door open for a minute & restart the fire when I need it.
I know there's these things called lighters and matches; but if I haven't had to use one in a long time, why start now?
Any thoughts from the hard core woodburners?

I time the removal of ashes with the cold, leaving them in mild weather to insulate the coals as you suggested. When it's time to ressurect the fire, I push the ashes and coals to the back and then rake the coals forward in front of the doghouse. The zipper air works much better than leaving the door open.

Another way to keep it burning clean is use up your small splits. So far today, I started with 4 small splits laying 2 n/s and 2 e/w. Get it ripping and shut it down. This lasted 5 hours and reduced to a small coal bed. I have quite a few small splits in my pile so I pick these out when we have these warm spells.

This warmer weather is a great time to burn those odd shaped pieces of wood. It is also a great time to be cutting more wood!

Backwoods Savage said:
This warmer weather is a great time to burn those odd shaped pieces of wood. It is also a great time to be cutting more wood!

Cutting wood yes, burning odd shaped bits.............. weather not really warm enough for the firepit in the garden yet ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.