warmest outside temp?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyG

Dec 22, 2010
Central Fla
I'm just curious what the warmest outside temp you guys have burned your stove. I had just got my stove installed in February and it warmed up and I haven't had a chance to light up since. Lows in the upper 50s to low 60s, 70s and 80s during the day. Had a cool front today lows forecasted upper 50s, I'm tempted....

If you are in the mood for a fire run that thing!

If it gets too hot maybe mama will start shedding clothes.

If that fails you have 2 worst case scenarios as I see it:

1. You have to open your windows.
2. You have to close the windows then turn the a/c on for a bit and feel like an idiot but in the end you still satisfied your inner pyro.

For my own home (now that the fun / newness of the stove has worn off) I won't fire it unless it is damp and lows in the mid 40's.

pen

It was 80 outside the day in August that I smoke tested the new liner by firing up the stove. My wife is used to it. Any time I modify something she says "Well, it is about to get hot in this joint.".

If outside temps don't get my inside temps into the upper 60's I have no problem lighting the stove. As long as I have a working stove and a pile of wood I'll burn it when I need to. I'm not cold in February I'm not going to be cold in April or May. :)

Your low temps now are almost hotter than most summers here. Been some years the over 70* days could be counted on one hand.

I don't really bother with the stove unless it's going to at least be colder than the mid 30s. It's just easier to kick the thermostat up for a bit vs trying to mess with the stove and it get way too hot in the house. I have been lighting a small fire every couple nights and that's about it.

NATE379 said:
Your low temps now are almost hotter than most summers here. Been some years the over 70* days could be counted on one hand.

Allied Van Lines 1-800-444-6787 :lol:

I couldn't resist, fired up last night, opened some windows and enjoyed. Put some "TO DRY" well seasoned oak in and got stove top up to about 310, went to bed. This morning house is 76 and stove is still at 150 with glowing coals 10 hrs later. I know its only 56 outside but it still amazes me how well this stove performs on such a small fire, Ive heard about this for yrs but it is truly something you have to see to believe. The fireview seems perfect for low slow burns which is what I needed here in FL, just enough to keep the chill out, its definitely not run you out of the house heat . Can't wait till next season, bring it on!! Thanks everyone for your input and humor, you folks are top notch. ;-)

Randy, at what outside temperature do we still burn depends upon if it is spring or fall. We'll burn with higher outdoor temperatures in the spring than we will in the fall. I think that is because the sun is warmer in the fall plus the ground is also warmer so even though the air temperature may be 50, it will feel a lot different than 50 in the spring. You might not get that much though in your area because I doubt your ground ever freezes. We can get to 60 or more but the frost still coming out of the ground makes it feel cooler.

What we really go by is only what the indoor temperature is. I do judge how much to load the stove by what the forecast is and also if it is sunny or not.

Once it gets above 50ºF we stop burning. Draft starts getting weaker and the house warms up too quickly with more than a 3 split fire. At that point, the heat pump is loafing at keeping the house at 70F. We might have an ambiance fire occasionally if it's a cool damp night, but normally, once the temps pass 50F at night, the stove stays idle for the rest of the season.

I am more concerned about the inside temp than the outside temp. :)

I have a stove, I have fuel for it, and I am not afraid to use it.

I love it. Lived in Idaho a few years and the 100* temps in the summer and no rain... the heck with that!

BrotherBart said:
NATE379 said:

Allied Van Lines 1-800-444-6787 :lol:

We rarely see temps above 75 here. Puget Sound is our AC.

Moved here from Texas a long time ago. Still miss the hot and dry. Here we get the hot, but not the dry. Guess I need to call Allied myself. :coolsmirk:

fossil said:
C'mon out to central Oregon. You can burn to your heart's content for at least 6 or 8 months out of the year, and then enjoy very nice warm and dry weather for whatever's left of it. :p Rick

http://www.weather.com/outlook/health/fitness/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/97701

My problem is that my heart is content and I am sick of burning wood by the end of December. :-/ The rest of it is just not liking being cold. This week last year we hit 90 degrees. This year there is a fire burning in the next room. A 650 degree fire. You lived here. You know how this chit is.

BrotherBart said:
...You lived here. You know how this chit is.

Yes, I did, and yes I do, and no I never will again...but I completely understand the "I'm done moving" thing, big time. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.