Warming up, must have snow on the way

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
2° last night, heavy frost, 20° now
snow & possible rain snow mix, time to put on the studded tires.

DSCF0095.JPG

wrm wthr.jpg

Dave, we are forecast to hit 64 Sunday. Monday night and Tuesday rain/snow mix.

I think 64° was our high temp this summer :)

Big fluctuation for you there 64° to snow.
Oposite here, 2° last night to 37° Saturday.

Bridgestone Blizzaks. Better than studded tires, much kinder to the roads. Check 'em out. Best winter tires I've ever owned.

Bridgestone Blizzaks. Better than studded tires, much kinder to the roads. Check 'em out. Best winter tires I've ever owned.

You convince my wife. Tried for years.
Studs or she won't drive when the roads get iced up or even snow.
The one year we did soft rubber winter tires, it rained on the subdivision roads, glare ice rink everywhere,
she slid sideways off the crown of the road into the ditch. Since then, studs or the car stays in the garage.
I use all season, same tire year round, fine except for the rain on ice days, which are few. I carry kitty litter in case.

Kitty litter can work rather nicely. I always carry a bucket of sand during winter months.

Kitty litter can work rather nicely. I always carry a bucket of sand during winter months.

I was smart one winter & had 4 sand bags in the PU truck bed . Got stuck. Sand bags had gotten wet & were frozen solid.
Lesson learned" Keep your sand dry " :)
Now plastic bags inside sand bags & fill with dry sand ;)
Bag of kitty litter behind the seat & keep cats out. Tow strap & ice cleats on board too.
Staying home in bad weather more too, that "going to work" thing caused more of a need to drive.

I'll kindly disagree - nothing does ice like studs. And the roads around here wear out from potholes & heaving long before studded tires would ever hurt them.

Reactions: nate379
Forecast is 70 today here.

I'll kindly disagree - nothing does ice like studs. And the roads around here wear out from potholes & heaving long before studded tires would ever hurt them.

The major roads get groves in them from studs.
But most of us live in subdivisions that don't get plowed for days after a snow fall.
Snow packed down to ice. Get a warm day, water on ice is slick
Studs get most to & from safely . All season non stud tires work, but you have to change your driving techniques. Not easy for many.
So Studs are they majorities choice for safety.

but you have to change your driving techniques
The idea around the Detroit area seems to be to either drive super slow, or put the pedal to the metal when the snow hits.!!!
Oh, and don't forget to tailgate. That's the important thing. >>
Not the tailgate party thing, the following too close thing. Heck, I need studded shoes around here. I've fallen 2x in my own driveway. Wife has done the same.:mad:

Reactions: bogydave
The idea around the Detroit area seems to be to either drive super slow, or put the pedal to the metal when the snow hits.!!!
Oh, and don't forget to tailgate. That's the important thing. >>
Not the tailgate party thing, the following too close thing. Heck, I need studded shoes around here. I've fallen 2x in my own driveway. Wife has done the same.:mad:

LOL
It's the same everywhere.
Well maybe not Hawaii :)

Reactions: PapaDave
The ruts in the roads aren't mainly from studs Dave. It's from the soft asphalt being compacted over time from the weight of traffic.

I ran Blizzaks one year and won't recommend them to anyone up here. Got stuck a few times on ice in the same place cars with studded tires were going. They work ok until it gets icy, like after a mid winter thaw/rain that we always seem to get.

Sure you can get around on "all seasons" but you'd wish you had good winter tires that first time you need to get on the brakes or swerve because of some idiot driver or other obstacle.

Have to say folks here in Maine run studded tires a lot in the Winter and I haven't seen any real issues with ruts in the tar . . . except for a select few places where the tar was soft and packed down from the large amount of traffic . . . particularly heavy traffic from dumptrucks, tractor trailers, etc. . . .

I'm with you Maple.

Also someone mentioned tailgating in the snow storm. Friday about 1am. i had to park the trailer truck on the side of the interstate for about an hour. Couldn't steer or keep forward momentum up. 3 or 4 inches of wet snow, summer tires on truck. First time I had to sit in 20yrs. But back to the tailgating....light traffic, very light. Had two cars following the "path" up the middle of the I-95 go by me.1st one from fla, doing about 30mpfh. Second car, with it's 4 ways on, riding off of the bumper of the fla car by maybe 3 ft. Couldn't pass but trying to push him up the road.. Funny as hell, especially because they were the only two cars in about 4 miles of highway.

I'm with you Maple.

Also someone mentioned tailgating in the snow storm. Friday about 1am. i had to park the trailer truck on the side of the interstate for about an hour. Couldn't steer or keep forward momentum up. 3 or 4 inches of wet snow, summer tires on truck. First time I had to sit in 20yrs. But back to the tailgating....light traffic, very light. Had two cars following the "path" up the middle of the I-95 go by me.1st one from fla, doing about 30mpfh. Second car, with it's 4 ways on, riding off of the bumper of the fla car by maybe 3 ft. Couldn't pass but trying to push him up the road.. Funny as hell, especially because they were the only two cars in about 4 miles of highway.

First few snow storms . . . never fails . . . everyone seems to forget how to drive in snow . . . you either got the guy driving about 15 mph and causing a huge pile up of cars behind them or you get the guy driving about 75 in complete ignorance as to how the traction is under tire (often this guy is the one driving the 4 x 4 truck or SUV.)

First few snow storms . . . never fails . . . everyone seems to forget how to drive in snow . . . you either got the guy driving about 15 mph and causing a huge pile up of cars behind them or you get the guy driving about 75 in complete ignorance as to how the traction is under tire (often this guy is the one driving the 4 x 4 truck or SUV.)

I found the whole thing funny as it was a car from Fla being"pushed" by a car from N.J.

Status
Not open for further replies.