Warner Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Begreen.You have all summer to look at stoves and the money your spending on a twenty year old stove that going to eat up the wood Quickly.Your better off looking at something newer thell burn the wood much slower and youll get more for your buck. Take a look around on the internet and youll find some thing in your price range and youll be happer in the long run with your purchase
Check out www.dynamitebuys.com there out of ohio and when I bought my unit they shipped it for free that was three month ago
PS get your money back

Thanks for the wiki info Craig. At 40" deep plus the elbow to head up the flue, that stove would stick way out past the end of the hearth. How much does the blower add to the caboose?

While the Jotul 602 may not be Jotul's best stove ever, it's still a well built stove from one of the most reputable manufacturers in the business, and it's a clean burning EPA stove, a much better deal IMO than the rebuilt Warner. However, BeGreens advice is the best. Start from scratch and let' see what you really need.

I have an old 602 and love the little stove. But I don't recommend it in this application unless you like feeding it very frequently. That's one of the reasons I suggested a new insert. Second reason is you need to know how to examine this stove to determine its condition. Otherwise it may cost a bit to get working right.

BeGreen said:
Thanks for the wiki info Craig. At 40" deep plus the elbow to head up the flue, that stove would stick way out past the end of the hearth. How much does the blower add to the caboose?

The stove I was looking to buy is the smaller Warner Model. W-118. I'll call the dealer today to cancel the order. I only put $50 deposit down. I'll be going to a place tonight in Salem Nh called the the Fireplace Village. Anyone elese recommend a stov shop in NH

Thanks
Frank

Funny that it was made in Laconia, I live in Warner and always understood they were made here - there are a lot around town.

I wouldn't get one personally. Old technology, there are just much better things available now for serious heating.

As to local shops, I had a terrible time with Fireplace Village over the years. Not sure if its the chain or the idiot who ran (runs?) the Concord branch. When I bought an Encore from them, it was defective out of the box and could not be used. They told me it was their busy season and I would have to wait 3-4 weeks for the repair man to come fix it! When I pointed out that it was the dead of winter and the stove our only heat source he said " well, it wouldn't be fair to put you in front of our other customers." It wasn't until I read him the riot act and told him I was stopping payment and that he had until the end of the day to get the thing out of my house and I would roll it into the yard for him to pick up if he didn;t, that he agreed to get a man out the next day. Later, whenever I needed parts, they'd always give me a song and dance about how I would have to wait for their next parts order (they never actually stocked anything) in 2 weeks to a month. If I said I needed it sooner they would act hurt that I could be so unreasonable and that there was no way they could order them quicker (I found another place, the late lamented Lyme Hardware, that actually stocked parts, and if they didn't have them would drop ship them from VC so I could get them in a day or 2). Fireplace Village simply did not have a clue that some people count on their stoves to stay warm, and on their stove vendors to keep the stove running!

I have a Warner that my Father-in-law (a fireman now deceased) installed years ago. I used it two years ago and it seemed to work fine. When I had the chimney cleaned, they told me the installation (into the same flue with the oil burner) is not now allowed by code.

So ... a couple of questions

* Where would I find the model number? It has the mountain on the door, a handle to the left and a dial on the door to control the draft.

* It probably hasn't had any refurbishing in 15 years or more, but has seen little use. If it doesn't leak smoke, does it need maintenance work?

* It's near the middle of the basement (concrete floor) and all appropriate clearances from what I understand. What would be the best way to vent it? Can it have a horizontal pipe of 10 feet or more? and what would be the range of cost?

I'm not sure it's worth having it set up properly, but the oil prices are scary and I love the scent of wood smoke.

Thanks for any input.

Status
Not open for further replies.