WARNING DOGWOOD ENERGY Co

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

williamgardner

Feb 7, 2007
www.catamountaccess.com
Just wanted to pass a note of caution. Back in March of last year I ordered wood pellets from Dogwood dba Pellet mart. I did this online after calling them and researching them. I was really nervous about the supply and demand for this winter. Long story short they did in fact charge my credit card and promised a August 06 delivery. Well I still havent got them or a refund. After months of calling and emails, I got an email today saying the Tennessee Attorney Generals Office has filed a lawsuit againts them on behalf of the customers and hopefully we (the customers) will get reimbursed. Just wanted to pass on this info. I did have great success with Pelletsales.com.

Just curious. I have a pending order with Pelletsales.com. How long did it take for you to receive your order after you confirmed it?

Yeah, they've been great to deal with so far. The only complaint I have so far is they don't tell you that orders normally take 3 to 4 weeks for delivery until AFTER you confirm (and can't cancel without a penalty).

But, no big deal, I'll pick up a half ton at the local dealer if I need to.

Where are you located?

I haven't gotten them yet. I was quoted on New England Canadian.

I think it depends on your area. New England Pellet is probably the closest for me. I think the order must be coming through New England Pellet's separate distribution facility in Palmer, Mass. where they import other pellets and distribute them.

williamgardner said:
Just wanted to pass a note of caution. Back in March of last year I ordered wood pellets from Dogwood dba Pellet mart. I did this online after calling them and researching them. I was really nervous about the supply and demand for this winter. Long story short they did in fact charge my credit card and promised a August 06 delivery. Well I still havent got them or a refund. After months of calling and emails, I got an email today saying the Tennessee Attorney Generals Office has filed a lawsuit againts them on behalf of the customers and hopefully we (the customers) will get reimbursed. Just wanted to pass on this info. I did have great success with Pelletsales.com.

Here is a news story about them.

http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=5964025

You may have already tried this, and it might not work if your CC company know they are in litigation, but it might be worth giving your CC company a call, tell them you've attempted to resolve the issue with the merchant and have been unsuccessful, and ask them to reverse the charges. It's a long shot since dozens have probably tried this already, but you never know. Good luck. I'm always nervous ordering expensive stuff over the internet. I need a radon fan and it's around $150. I guess I'll gamble on it using paypal which hopefully gives some extra protection. Of course, the real crooks probably aren't going to take paypal. Like the travel agent that insisted on a personal check and taught me an expensive lesson.

Mo Heat said:
It's a long shot

You know, thinking about this a bit more, I'm pretty sure CC's offer fraud protection. They may have to credit your account. Read that insert we all throw out the minute we sign our new cards.

Thanks Mo Heat,
I did call the CC company, and not to sound rude but got someone I didnt understand, but the jist was since the transaction was over 3 months there is nothing they could do. It sounded a little sketchy, but perhaps another shot is in order.

williamgardner said:
Thanks Mo Heat,
I did call the CC company, and not to sound rude but got someone I didnt understand, but the jist was since the transaction was over 3 months there is nothing they could do. It sounded a little sketchy, but perhaps another shot is in order.

The Federal rule on chargebacks is that it has to be reported to the card company within sixty days of the date your received the first statement containing the charge. Not the purchase date, but the date you received the statement. Some card issuing banks extend that to 90 days but don't have to.

Also if you have paid the balance on the card down to zero anytime before reporting it you are screwed. Don't ask me. It is a government thing, don't ya see.

What the bank doesn't tell you is that the Feds make them keep a reserve to cover chargebacks so they have to pay ya and then recover from the merchant themselves so you get your dough back whether they do or not. If reported in time.

BrotherBart said:
williamgardner said:
Thanks Mo Heat,

The Federal rule on chargebacks is that it has to be reported to the card company within sixty days of the date your received the first statement containing the charge. Not the purchase date, but the date you received the statement. Some card issuing banks extend that to 90 days but don't have to.

Also if you have paid the balance on the card down to zero anytime before reporting it you are screwed. Don't ask me. It is a government thing, don't ya see.

What the bank doesn't tell you is that the Feds make them keep a reserve to cover chargebacks so they have to pay ya and then recover from the merchant themselves so you get your dough back whether they do or not. If reported in time.

Dispute the charge as non-delivered or fraudulent regardless. That forces the seller to prove the charge. You can demand the bank prove the charge. Puts the monkey on the back of the bank. You may not gain a refund, but at the amount you have charged it is more likely the bank will refund.

Got beat out of a charge 6 months after processing, because the customer was in WV and we were in Utah and she said she had never been there. The signed receipt and charge form was not good enough to prove the charge, because the customer had never been here. The $175. was too expensive to pursue. But, she was in our trade, got a black ball from us that probably cost her 20-30 grand. Pay back is a Bit@#@.

Oooh oohh, Mr Kotter! I went ballistic last year over them, as their prior name was American Fredom Fuels. They had something like six business all with the same PO box number. I'll try and find the thread.

Have a stupid question for everyone. Pellets are getting very pricey around my neck of the woods, (upper michigan), considering the price per ton pretty much doubled in a year. I have been thinking about these on-line sellers but hesitate because I wonder about the shipping costs. Do you actually save money by an on-line company and do they deliver and unload at your door? I wonder if a person wouldn't be better off going in with a group and in effect ordering direct from the company in some sort of co-op, splitting the trucking costs. Feels like a mini oil company gouge around here. As for the OP, I feel for you. Got burned on big ticket item over the net not too long ago myself and it's been pretty much impossible to recoupe. Hopefully your CC company will persue it harder than mine. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.