Warning!!! Northern Tool/Northstar 37 Ton log slitter failure!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

glenng

Nov 9, 2006
Owners of Northern Tool/ Northstar 37 Ton logsplitters check the bolt that allows your splitter to pivot to make sure that has not sheared. The bolt(actually its a threaded rod that is welded on to the tilting hinge) on my splitter sheared and the cylinder and I-beam came free from the trailer portion of the splitter. While towing my splitter home I heard a clunk and then I saw a shower of sparks in the side mirror. When I pulled over I found the I-beam and cylinder dragging on the ground held only by the hydraulic hoses. Had the cylinder/I-beam separated from the rest of the unit it could have been deadly for other motorists.

I just got home and I`m a little P.O. and I need to vent but this could have been a deadly catastrophe.

This could also be a potential problem for owners of the 22 and 30 ton units because they are probably built on the same platform.

I don`t abuse my equipment and I drive 45mph max and tow 16 miles round trip to my wood site. My splitter has maybe 150-200 total miles on it.

I`ll call Northern tomorow and find out what the deal is. The splitter works awesome but the trailer/tilt mechanism/tires are flimsy under engineered crap. I will be re-engineering the trailer portion asap.

I am not trying to tarnish Northern/Northstar but this is dangerous and serious.

I appologize for being alarmist but this is dangerous and owners need to know that this machine has a serious design flaw.

PS , Moderators can we make this a sticky for a little while? It may save a life. I do not think this problem will be unique to just me. The machine has a dangerous design flaw.

Thanks
GlennG

That sounds pretty catastrophic, though I have not heard of any other problems with the NT splitters.. Good to check on NT for sure, good luck. Let us know how NorthernTool treats you...

I towed my Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter the 2.5 miles home from Lowes and I did not go above 30mph. First of all, the tiny tires on the splitter would bounce like mad on any pothole and it recommended a pretty slow speed anyway (I don't remember) but since I split where i live, it probably wont be moving anywhere anytime soon and if i was going any serious distance, I'd get a trailer..

That's not good. Glad everything (safety-wise, anyway) turned out OK.

Yet another reason why splitters should not be towed...unless they're riding along strapped down in a trailer.

computeruser said:
That's not good. Glad everything (safety-wise, anyway) turned out OK.

Yet another reason why splitters should not be towed...unless they're riding along strapped down in a trailer.

Yup - mine is always in my trailer. This is probably just a good shout out for the periodic inspection of equipment, including all bolts/pins/other stuff.

Sorry you had this problem with your splitter. No fun indeed. Things just happen and no one is able to stop a lot of them. They wouldn't be called accidents otherwise. Maybe you didn't get it fastened down correctly and it flipped up while towing causing the bolt to break? Just a thought with on finger pointing to anyone.

Hope Northern will stand behind it and repair your splitter to new condition again. Good luck with it.

I see others saying not to tow splitters but if they weren't ment to be towed they would not put a trailer hitch on them. I purchased one from Low's a month ago, towed it home 25 miles, then towed it later about 50 miles to help a friend split wood with no problems. I will have to check out my splitter better to see if I could have the same problem as you did. I don't move it around much and certainly couldn't lift it into my truck nor do I want to drag a 16 foot tandom trailor just to haul the splitter.

My splitter I bought from Lowes say no more than 45mph, In NJ, I didn't need lights on it because it's fairly low, but with the small tires and no suspension, it would bounce like mad when going over bumps and stuff so I was pretty conservative, hardly going over 30mph with it.

Jay

Jay H said:
My splitter I bought from Lowes say no more than 45mph, In NJ, I didn't need lights on it because it's fairly low, but with the small tires and no suspension, it would bounce like mad when going over bumps and stuff so I was pretty conservative, hardly going over 30mph with it.

Jay

Same as mine but I couldn't see it behind my truck so what I didn't see I couldn't worry about. I did hit the 45 or so with it on smoothe roads and would slow considerable for bumps and potholes. I don't think it was made for long commutes but it should be able to take some towing.

Status
Not open for further replies.