Warnock Hersey profile 20 questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sheetmetaldan

Jan 14, 2013
Acushnet, Ma
Hi new member here with a few questions. I recently purchased my first pellet stove. It`s a 2`nd hand stove a Warnok Hersey Profile 20 bought off Craig`s list so I don`t know much about it, mechanically everything seems to be working fine but the burn pot builds up clinkers and overflows the pot. I need to clean out the stove everyday and empty burn pot after using just 1 bag is this normal? Seems to me I should be able to go a bit longer than that. I have searched old posts here and found some usefull info, but was wondering if anyone can offer some more help.
As far as maintenence for this stove goes it looks like there was little or none at all done by the previous owner.This is what I have done so far,gave it a good general cleaning when I bought it and yesterday I removed the exhaust blower after reading up on an older post here, shoved my flue brushes in there as far as I could get and sucked out a ton of crap with a shop vac. I even blew compressed air thru the passages on either side of the heat exchanger and blew out even more soot & crud. I didn`t notice any improvement after this but it sure did need to be done.The gasket around the door also seems like a good snug fit. I make sure the ash pan is closed all the way as well before use.

I think the pellets fill the pot too fast the auger drops a few pellets approximatly every 4 seconds or so can I adjust this? If so how? Another issue I have is when I look online at the manuel it shows a rod to adjust combustion air,either I don`t have this or I can`t find it. So if there is no damper how can I adjust the combustion air? I think my stove is an earlier model since it also doesn`t have the clean out ports located behind the fire brick.

Here are a few details about my stove:
No t-stat installed, I just fill it up and turn it on in the morning let it run and shut it down around noon for a few hours untill the sun sets and temps drop then turn it on again. I let it run all night untill morning when I check on it again. My stove is located in an unfinished basement the flue is 3 inch and comes off stove with a tee and cleanout with 6 ft vertical rise to a 90 degree elbow and a foot of straight out to a sidewall type of wall cap. Flue pipe is all brand new been in use about a month now.
The pellets I use are New England Wood Pellet brand. I did use about a dozen or so bags of the Green Supreme`s from Lowe`s I didn`t notice a difference with either one.

Would drilling a few extra holes in the burn pot help to reduce clinkers?

Last question, does the fire brick serve any purpose other than being cosmetic I removed it cleaning my stove and didn`t bother to put it back.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Since my 2`nd hand stove is located in an unfinished basement.I wasn`t looking for the prettiest girl at the dance just one that puts out! ;)

The stove is likely full of ash. You'll need to remove any fake firebrick and do some pounding with a rubber mallet or a hammer with a block of wood between it and the inside firebox side and back walls. That should loosen up a lot more crud in the exhaust passages.

You should test the gaskets do not go by looks.

The stove is not a Warnok Hersey, that is the name of the testing lab that certifies the stove meets certain standards.

The stove is a Whitfield Profile 20.

Reactions: raybonz
The stove is likely full of ash. You'll need to remove any fake firebrick and do some pounding with a rubber mallet or a hammer with a block of wood between it and the inside firebox side and back walls. That should loosen up a lot more crud in the exhaust passages.

You should test the gaskets do not go by looks.

The stove is not a Warnok Hersey, that is the name of the testing lab that certifies the stove meets certain standards.

The stove is a Whitfield Profile 20.

Guess I will have to beat on it some more! Yes your right it is a Whitfield I`m such a N-O-O-B! :(

.....seems to be working fine but the burn pot builds up clinkers and overflows the pot. I need to clean out the stove everyday and empty burn pot after using just 1 bag is this normal? Seems to me I should be able to go a bit longer than that........As far as maintenance for this stove goes it looks like there was little or none at all done by the previous owner.......;)
As much as you say you "cleaned" the stove, all your indicators point right to a dirty stove. Other than that, a weak combustion blower could show similar signs.

Guess I will have to beat on it some more! Yes your right it is a Whitfield I`m such a N-O-O-B! :(

Not a problem being a N-O-O-B everyone is at one thing or another.

You might want to get a service manual for that stove.

Everything from Acorns to Squirrels have been pulled out of used stoves at one time or another. Even Owen's Pink Fiberglass (mice make nests inside of stoves).

Just to update my own thread. I did another cleaning removed more crud out of stove but not nearly as much as my first cleaning did. I also pulled both blowers out and cleaned them again paying more attention to the impellar and squirrel cage blades. But the real culprit to my problem was the combustion air damper, and my inability to find the darn thing in the first place ;lol all that was there was a chewed up nub of a shaft plus it was stuck in place from the lack of cleaning by the previous owner, if it moved freely right off the bat I would have known what it was! After some persuasion I can now move it easily to adjust my combustion air. I burned a bag of pellets last night with a nice bright flame and NO CLINKERS! I`m so glad I found this forum it was a big help to me getting my stove running right! Now if I can remember the correct name of my stove I should be all set! :)

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
There ya go, that crud is likely the reason the stove was dumped on the used market, a lot of folks on here have gotten a lot of good stoves cheap that way and after a really good cleaning some of them fire right up and burn just fine (even some that the seller said needed this or that part).

Keep it clean and it will keep you warm.

ETA: BTW, welcome to the funny farm most of the critters here are friendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.