warped heat shield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

contrarymary

Hearth Supporter
Oct 8, 2010
Upstate New York
How serious is it if the heat shield in back of the insert is warped in a Napoleon Insert 1402 P-K, brand new, three weeks in use. No problem until last night. The stove had gotten very hot, and not much later heard a "boing." Waited til morning til things cooled down. Pulled off the surround and looked around. Noticed the heat shield in back of stove (not inside firebox) behind the stovepipe and heat exchanger had curled along the edge and fallen loose. I wouldn't care except it's impeding the flow of air being pushed out by the fan. Is this reparable? Is their a way to know if the heat exchanger was damaged--cracked--as well? Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks. [email protected]

Sounds like you are saying that the weld that holds the shroud onto the firebox broke. Get in touch with whoever sold you the insert or Napoleon/Wolf Steel. Now!.

No, not the whole shroud or containment box. With the firebox door closed, looking through the horizontal louvre above the firebox where the hot curculating air is pushed out by the two verticle fans on both sides of the stove, you'll see a black piece of sheet metal covering the inside back wall of the shroud or containment box. That warped apparently, and it popped off whatever was holding it in place and it slipped down, so that only one corner is still visible. Problem is, the warp or curved metal is impeding the airflow--the whole point of this stove. I managed to raise it with a stick, and have propped it up with a small metal tube lying across the top of ther stove. We need to pull the stove out again (ugh) detach the pipe and lift the lid off the shroud or containment box, replace the sheet with a flat one and replace everything. Napoleon was very rude and wouldn't talk to me. Said it would only talk to a licensed installer or dealer. So now you know why consumers are angry. We're their bread and butter and they just blew me off. Now you know why Sarah Palin is angry. And so am I.

Have you contacted the dealer? That is the one that should be the point of first contact. Many stove companies insist on going through the dealer first. The dealer needs to make the first assesment to see if the problem is a stove defect or the result of overfiring. It could just be a defective weld, but if other hidden damage or warping has occurred, this needs to be determined before the fix.

And please, keep politics out of the thread. Consumer complaints have been happening since clay tablets were invented.

Through a dealer we learned what warped was not a heat shield but air deflector. To replace this $20 part will be a major headache.

In response to your last comment, back in the days of clay tablets, there were no "consumers." Just people.

Status
Not open for further replies.