Warranty work on new stove, clean up or not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snowfreak

Nov 18, 2005
Altona, NY
I purchased a Jotul 600 Firelight this past summer, while I was cleaning the stove out and preparing it for summer storage I noticed a crack on the very top plate and contacted my local dealer where I purchased the stove. Local dealer sends out a technician to replace top plate under warranty. Luckily rather then me having to wait around all day, my Father in law agrees to open the house up and wait for the work to be finished. Keep in mind the stove was spotless inside and out prior to the top plate being replaced. I get home to find ash covering the entire stove, smudge marks on the new top. Pieces of white (fiberglass? mat that sits above burn tubes) down near the ash grate. The heat shield was removed and reinstalled incorrectly. The air control valve and chrome handle were replaced under warranty but the bolt that goes through the handle was left loose. There was tufts of gasket material that needed to be trimmed. I need to make a call on Monday to let the my dealer know about the poor workmanship. I'm not sure if I should include in the list of wrong doings the filth left on the stove itself or if that's par for the course when getting a large replacement piece? I knew the stove would not be spotless but I didn't expect that big of a mess. Whats your opinion?

Bummer. Sounds like you got the hot tub repair crew out for the call. The sloppy work does not give peace of mind. Take pictures and send them to to owner of the company.

I hate it when things like this happen.........one of my pet peeves.

I honestly feel your pain ! :ahhh:

You really should make them come back and do it all over agian with you watching.........

Robbie

Sometimes it doesn't work, even when you're watching them. When the "hottub kid" came out to change my flue-pipe from the temporary 2-45s to a sinlge 90, he did an abysmal job. Left screws out and scratched up the pipe. I was glad to have him out of there and redid it myself when I added the stack damper.

I would call them and have them send someone other than the moron that was there the other day. If the same guy comes out he is going to be an even bigger jerk.

I would take a few pictures and document the things you are not happy about before calling the dealer. That way, you will be organized and can hopefully get everything taken care of at once.

I can let a thing or two slide, but once it reaches a certain level, I'm going to pick it all apart and make sure they correct every little thing.

Thats a shame. Our policy is to leave the customers house cleaner than when you arrived. Even if I only work on one section of a fireplace I will clean down the entire thing before I leave.

I can let a thing or two slide, but once it reaches a certain level, I’m going to pick it all apart and make sure they correct every little thing.

MRGRIZ you have the makings of a fine inspector. I think that is my approach If things look organized and in place I'm not looking to fail an inspection
However once I discover things wrong I start look at things a lot closer.

I think the original poster should take some photos and let the dealer know the quality of his workers. It gives him a chance to correct it and move on.
The next person receiving service will appreciate your reminder to the dealer

Hey Snow Freak,
I would burn a phone call,(PRONTO), to this dealer and deffinitely let them know the way this stove was left.
If the bolts are left loose on the handle you can imagine what the rest of the reassembly job is like, especially what you can't readily see!
Your dealers service man was definitely not a professional but rather none better than an"APE" that learned how to turn a wrench or two.
Why should you turn your check on this one. I beleive as a customer you deserve better treatment than this, and also more respect for the product you laid down your hard earned bucks for.
What type of Stove was this, oh yeah, a Jotul.
Whine away my friend. You will thank yourself in the morning just out of self respect!

John

Id document and call as well. Its entirely possible that the stove shop may have no idea what their technicians are doing, and certainly should be notified about it. I also would try to be nice AT FIRST, as honey attracts more bees than vinegar.

Hey Harry,
I gotta tell ya, I love your avitar. It's definitely a keeper!

John

I thought that was Ben Stiller in Along came Polly?

HarryBack said:
Thanks, John.....its Adam Sandler, believe it or not.

Codeman812 said:

HarryBack said:

Yeap it is (Ben Stiller)... he is using her Loofah to try and plung the toilet.

Don't forget the special towel or whatever from grandma (I think)

jtp10181 said:
Codeman812 said:

HarryBack said:

Codeman812 said:
Don't forget the special towel or whatever from grandma (I think)

jtp10181 said:
Codeman812 said:

HarryBack said:

srry! I get the two mixed up! apologies!

Status
Not open for further replies.