Warren's Pine and the clean chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hardwood715

Feeling the Heat
Nov 30, 2005
Hyde Park, New York
Swept the chimney down today, pulled the insert out to inspect the chamber, smoke shelf, and damper area. I did this after reading the pros and cons of burning pine, I've been mixing the pine I scored from meeting Warren- with my hardwood and its been a couple of weeks, so I decided to see for myself if any creosote, tar, gunk has accumulated.l Most of you probably know from reading prior posts, that I burn with a pre EPA UL listed 1980 slammer, venting directly into the terra cotta lined masonary chimney. my stove outlets design is a 3.5X29.5 damperslide, so I have no adapted liner. I was surprised to see just the usual paper thin shiny stuff on the first 2 top tiles, I bushed her down and cleaned her out, nothing but dust! I think that pine has helped to keep my system cleaner, It sure hasnt made it any worse,, thanks Warren again, and I'll check her again in a couple weeks, some go to the gym, I sling around my 450 pound beast, with loving care!

From hanging out here the last year or so I've read more than once that it's more about having the wood properly seasoned, regardless of species. Sure, dense hardwoods last longer and coal better than pine, but I'm not so convinced any more that pine produces more creosote if it's properly seasoned and burned. Makes me wish I had kept some of the dozen White pines I had taken down last year instaed of just keeping the maple. Now I know better...

I have been burning seasoned Virginia pine in the Jotul F3 CB since the second week of October and the chimney liner looks fine.

BrotherBart said:
I have been burning seasoned Virginia pine in the Jotul F3 CB since the second week of October and the chimney liner looks fine.

See...I spent all those years saying "don't burn pine". How dumb was that??
I bet I would have 6-8 cords of pine if I hadn't had the tree company haul it away. And they charged me to get rid of it.
Live and learn I guess.

Sitting here in the office. Two medium splits of pine in the stove. Air at 25%, stack damper 2/3 closed, internal flue temp 450, stove top temp 475. Headed into the second hour of what looks to be a two hour burn.

Not a dimes worth of difference from the burns I am getting with seasoned oak.

BrotherBart said:
Sitting here in the office. Two medium splits of pine in the stove. Air at 25%, stack damper 2/3 closed, internal flue temp 450, stove top temp 475. Headed into the second hour of what looks to be a two hour burn.

That settles it...from now on no tree from my lot goes unused, be it pine or poplar!!

jabush said:
BrotherBart said:

That settles it...from now on no tree from my lot goes unused, be it pine or poplar!!

Ya just have to control the burn. Heck most the folks in the Western U.S. burn pine exclusively.

In some parts of the West, particularly the drier parts, they burn pine exclusively. On this side of the Cascades we have more variety. I haven't burned any pine, but lots of fir and some hemlock. Last year it was alder and hemlock. This year I'm burning soft maple. I always have my eye out for some madrona. Go south into Oregon and northern CA and they have native oaks too.

If I had a buck for every time I had someone tell me I'm gonna glue up the chimney from burning pine I could......

I burn lots of pine. Burning on the hot side gives me a clean, smoke free burn. Annual chimney inspection shows a dry, light grey ash

Couple more pines around the house need to go, they are blocking the fall-winter sun and I'm losing the thermal gain. In the stove they will go!

I live in the west (Sierras) and we have Pine out the you know what. Ive always stayed away from it for all the same fears. Ive even given away150' trees we needed to fall for site and road building. I Have plenty more on the property that can easily come down. From now on I wont be giving it away, Ill burn it in a mix with the Oak and Cedar I usually burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.