(Warrenty covered) Small cracks found in Lopi Leyden stove top (fixed)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Evening up date:

We took some better pictures of the cracks and emailed them to the dealer. He forwarded the pictures to Travis.

I suspect it will be a few days before I hear anything back. As soon as I find out anything I will post it here.

So far I am happy with the dealer's response. I figure that the pictures saved them at least one trip and sped the process up by a few days.

Attachments

• leftsidestove.jpg
    leftsidestove.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 271
  • rightsidestove.jpg
    rightsidestove.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 284
  • underleftside.jpg
    underleftside.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 287
one last pic of the underside.

Attachments

• under_rightside.jpg
    under_rightside.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 264
IIRC, awhile back there was someone elks that was claiming that VC cast several of the Leyden and also Oakwood parts.

The Leyden is made in China. Don't know if that is good or bad, it just is what it is.

BrotherBart said:
The Leyden is made in China. Don't know if that is good or bad, it just is what it is.

I tend to agree. I was just digging around on the stove doing some detailed cleaning and looking for more cracks.

I did not find any more cracks but I did find some similar casting details that I have seen on cast parts made in China found at work. Where I work, we will get parts made in China, India, and the UK and it gets to where you can tell the difference by just looking at a few details.

Wheather it is good or bad I don't know either. They all seem to have similar performance and failure rates in an environment that guarentees eventual destruction. I don't know how long mankind has been casting Iron but I am going to declare that the technology is just about universal. The workman ship is different but the technology seems to be the same everywhere.

I don't really hold this against the stove maker. I did a search on cracked cast iron wood burning stoves made by Travis and it seems that I have the only one that is reported here. Considering the volume of this site, it seems to me that is a good track record over all.

In my opinion the test in this case is how good is the service after the sale.

BJ64 said:
In my opinion the test in this case is how good is the service after the sale.

Exactly.

I am happy to report that I had received an email from the stove dealer.

Travis Industries is sending a replacement stove top and the dealer will be out to install it.

I think this is as good as anyone could ask for. In this incident, I am going to declare that Travis passed the warranty test an it only took one phone call and one email containing the pictures posted above.

Glad to hear that it worked out well for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.