Wary of overfire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kestrel

Nov 17, 2009
Southcentral PA
Have dry wood this year. Put a load in the Castine. Let the fire get going and started damping it down. Watched the secondaries flame up and continued damping down incrementally without putting out the secondaries. The temp. continued to go up. The stove was running at 700 degrees with the air closed all the way down. I felt powerless to do anything else as the air was already closed off. Should I be worried that the fire could continue to burn out of control to overfire with the air closed off?

That's about maxing things out w/ what temps you would like it to see. If you find you need more control perhaps a flue damper (about 10 bux) would help slow the draft down a bit.

pen

Start backing the air off quicker a little at a time to say ahead of it.

Thanks for the replies. I'll try backing it off sooner although any time I have tried to back it off sooner the fire hasn't really gotten going and I end up losing the secondaries and smoldering the fire.

How does the flue damper install?

kestrel said:
Thanks for the replies. I'll try backing it off sooner although any time I have tried to back it off sooner the fire hasn't really gotten going and I end up losing the secondaries and smoldering the fire.

How does the flue damper install?
I was not getting the stove hot enough for the fire to keep going also, so I matched the wood to the situtation with some smaller splitts in the beginig to get the stove hotter and then when the air was reduced the smaller splitts stayed burning well. When it get colder and you have a good bed of coals and the stove is hotter it should get easier to reduce the air and have the fire sustain itself better.

Flue damper is a piece of cake to install but the pipe has to be removed and a couple of holes drilled, I am sure there are pictures some where, not sure you need one though.

Status
Not open for further replies.