Was hating my F3100, had first stages of a chimney fire last night

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have one. This wood is dry. But I did burn for probably two weeks prior to this wood, with wood that was not as good.

I trust BG's and Bob's eyes.

Okay - so insulated - it is as good as that part of the system is gonna get.

Now we are back to the rest of the system and practices. You got a moisture meter?? Or know anybody that does? Or are willing to spend 20 bucks on one??

I have one. This wood is dry. But I did burn for probably two weeks prior to this wood, with wood that was not as good.

So you are saying that the creosote was residual from past bad fuel? If that is the case - I would probably consider this solved. HOWEVER, I would be doing routine inspections to make darn sure that is the case.

I agree i would have the system inspected and also check for air leaks.

So you are saying that the creosote was residual from past bad fuel? If that is the case - I would probably consider this solved. HOWEVER, I would be doing routine inspections to make darn sure that is the case.

I think it's possible.

I agree i would have the system inspected and also check for air leaks.

The air leak does have me wondering. When they redid the inside part, it's a little wonky. Will try to post closer up pictures to show you what I mean.

(Been cleaning sludge out of the box from the fire department putting it out last night. So thankful they got most of it!)

Air leak idea I mean.

The air leak does have me wondering. When they redid the inside part, it's a little wonky. Will try to post closer up pictures to show you what I mean.

(Been cleaning sludge out of the box from the fire department putting it out last night. So thankful they got most of it!)

See how there are those seams, and it doesn't look straight?

100_3732-001.JPG

100_3733-001.JPG

100_3735-001.JPG

100_3736-001.JPG

You could also check that you don't have any air leaks in the stovepipe section as that can cause a buildup of creosote down low where it is easily ignited from a hot stove (trust me on this one).

...smoke was pouring out of the top seams of the chimney near our ceiling...

Granted, Waulie's concern was about down low leakage, vs the smoke you saw up high, but either way the leaky pipe scares me.

Good for you for keeping kids #1 priority - great instincts / reaction. And for getting a repair person out to go over the install. Maybe scavenge some of your insulation budget and get a do-over on the pipe run inside...? Just a thought - a tiny bit chillier in maybe in one wall, but a whole lot safer...?

Granted, Waulie's concern was about down low leakage, vs the smoke you saw up high, but either way the leaky pipe scares me.

Good for you for keeping kids #1 priority - great instincts / reaction. And for getting a repair person out to go over the install. Maybe scavenge some of your insulation budget and get a do-over on the pipe run inside...? Just a thought - a tiny bit chillier in maybe in one wall, but a whole lot safer...?

Well luckily the insulation job is getting financed over 15 years at 3.49% and only running us $104 a month. Considering they figured us to be losing 90% of our heat. YES, 90%, we will easy be saving that on our heating bills so no need to find room in that budget! We will pay whatever we need to for it be safe for sure! We'll find the money, or finance that too! ha!

Oh and the crazy thing is that the pipe run inside is already a do-over!

As are many of my projects ;lol. Others can advise on whether or not that suggestion was overkill, but from what I read the whole setup and history etc. kinda makes me nervous. Good luck with everything.

As are many of my projects ;lol. Others can advise on whether or not that suggestion was overkill, but from what I read the whole setup and history etc. kinda makes me nervous. Good luck with everything.

You are right to feel nervous, my instinct last night was truly to get the whole damn thing OUT OF MY HOUSE. So I understand the desire to head towards overkill. I really hope we can get some answers or it is going.

This was in only one direction up our road.

100_3719-001.JPG

Pearl glad everyone is OK. You're asking good questions here with an open mind and getting solid advice so this should end well. I suggest you get a Chimfex and keep it handy it can be a lifesaver. You can call and order one here http://chimfex.us/ . Several people have reported they are $8.00+shipping which is cheaper than anywhere else. I agree with the insulated Class A pipe, being sure the wood is dry and everything else mentioned here..

Good Luck!
Ray

Reactions: Pallet Pete
Pearl glad everyone is OK. You're asking good questions here with an open mind and getting solid advice so this should end well. I suggest you get a Chimfex and keep it handy it can be a lifesaver. You can call and order one here http://chimfex.us/ . Several people have reported they are $8.00+shipping which is cheaper than anywhere else. I agree with the insulated Class A pipe, being sure the wood is dry and everything else mentioned here..

Good Luck!
Ray

Thanks for the recommendation Ray. I will get some of those, a couple for us, and a couple for my mom's place. They have a woodstove too. I am not seeing that great price though, is that just if you call you think? I am too late tonight to call, I will have to try tomorrow.

Thanks for the recommendation Ray. I will get some of those, a couple for us, and a couple for my mom's place. They have a woodstove too. I am not seeing that great price though, is that just if you call you think? I am too late tonight to call, I will have to try tomorrow.
I keep just one here and hope I never need it! People here have called the 800 number and ordered over the phone..

Ray

I know it's not safe to use it, and we won't, and I never would until we get it figured out. But I gotta say, even without the insulation upgrades we have coming, I am missing that thing running tonight. We just can't afford to let our furnace keep us anywhere near where that was keeping us, at least in this room I am in now with the stove. It hasn't been as hot as we were expecting it, but now that we know we need the insulation and it's coming, we have been pretty content holding tight and knowing the best is yet to come. I hope that is still the case! Thanks for all the help today!

I know it's not safe to use it, and we won't, and I never would until we get it figured out. But I gotta say, even without the insulation upgrades we have coming, I am missing that thing running tonight. We just can't afford to let our furnace keep us anywhere near where that was keeping us, at least in this room I am in now with the stove. It hasn't been as hot as we were expecting it, but now that we know we need the insulation and it's coming, we have been pretty content holding tight and knowing the best is yet to come. I hope that is still the case! Thanks for all the help today!

You are on the right track for sure pearlgirl good for you ! Keep looking on the bright side or warm side in this case. Once you have a stove it is hard to go back to gas and honestly you end up missing the firewood Saws and splitting lol. Gas just is not as satisfying or rewarding ! Insulation is a real money saver in the long run. We went from upwards of $500 a month heating electric bill to around average of $80 a month this year. I hope this gives you some more comfort to look forward to in the near future. Post some pics of the insulation if you would I am sure lots of people would love that. As ray said chimfex is a good product we keep a few around too. They are very nice on the phone and even gave us one free as a sample that thank goodness we did not need yet.

Pete

Reactions: raybonz

Well to give you some hope, we got foam insulation in our crawl spaces and rim joists a few weeks ago and noticed real improvement - like being able to keep downstairs around 68 and only using 1 bag of pellets in 24 hours (last winter, 2.5, and we struggled to keep the house heated).

Today they came to blow insulation into our walls. We had r-11 in the addition (now r-16) and r-0 (soon to be r-16) in the old house. They are about 40% done and it's already far warmer in here - it was actually too warm earlier this evening and that has NEVER happened to us in this house on a cold day before.

So this is great news for me, and you, and insulating and keeping our families warm. I like wood and would like to always use it from now on, but at least I won't be dreading the oil bills when we do go away for a weekend here and there...

Reactions: ailanthus
Certified chimney guy is coming out tomorrow morning. I have heard nothing from the code enforcement officer even though the fire department said they would contact him first thing yesterday morning. Chimney guy said from photos it never should have been put where it's put. He said it may be great on the inside of the house there, but from the outside it is not a good place at all. I am wondering if moving it is going to be the solution, oh brother. Mean while my hands are so cold I can't get the touch pad on my lap top to recognize my fingers!

Don't know about the chimney/stove location but I do I like the house between 72-75 degrees :)

Ray

Me too Ray! Me too! This 62 with 90% leaking out like crazy all over is not cutting it!
Sounds like it may be drafty there too and that makes you feel cold no matter how warm it is.. BTW did you talk to Chimfex?

Ray

Sounds like it may be drafty there too and that makes you feel cold no matter how warm it is.. BTW did you talk to Chimfex?

Ray

Oh crap! LOL Totally forgot until I read your question! I will have to put a reminder in my phone to do it next week. Too much going on, and when I have a chance to breath in the evening (like now) they aren't open!

Oh crap! LOL Totally forgot until I read your question! I will have to put a reminder in my phone to do it next week. Too much going on, and when I have a chance to breath in the evening (like now) they aren't open!
We raised 5 kids so I fully understand! I also keep a fire extinguisher in the stove room and one near the kitchen just in case.. Between the fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, CO detectors and Chimfex I sleep fine knowing I have the tools to deal with a small emergency. Burning wood is as safe or dangerous as you allow it to be..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.