Was that a chimney fire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stump_Branch

Minister of Fire
Nov 12, 2010
MD
No, I heard that roaring jet like noise and got all sorts of antzy. Ran outside with the flash light to peak at the chimney. nothing. stove temp. high but normal.
so what was it?
I am only a short hop away form DC, last nights state of the union there were military fighter jets keeping the skys clear over head.
sure sounded like one though!

That would make me a bit crazy too! There is a train line that can be heard in the distance from my house, and every so often a train goes by that must be bigger or heavier and makes me take a look just to make sure there is no problem.

Happened to me a lot when I had the old stove and chimney and the occasional chimney fire. We are dead due south about thirty miles as the crow flies from Dulles International. Right under the glide path. In heavy overcast I swear I can count rivets sometimes. Sometimes they sound just like the flue lit off.

Of course I don't mistake the Quantico artillery ranges just South of the house for chimney fires. Prior to Iraq and Afghanistan I had the code figured out. They only drag those poor Marines out there to the arty range in the nastiest weather that comes along. Except if they are out there for fourteen days straight nice or not on day sixteen somebody gets attacked somewhere in the world.

Ah the peace and quiet of living out in the woods...

BrotherBart said:
Happened to me a lot when I had the old stove and chimney and the occasional chimney fire. We are dead due south about thirty miles as the crow flies from Dulles International. Right under the glide path. In heavy overcast I swear I can count rivets sometimes. Sometimes they sound just like the flue lit off.

Of course I don't mistake the Quantico artillery ranges just South of the house for chimney fires. Prior to Iraq and Afghanistan I had the code figured out. They only drag those poor Marines out there to the arty range in the nastiest weather that comes along. Except if they are out there for fourteen days straight nice or not on day sixteen somebody gets attacked somewhere in the world.

Ah the peace and quiet of living out in the woods...

i probably have a good notion of you local. used to drive past it to college lots.

I live in the middle of nowhere, central part of that state and we get forgotten on weather forecasts and the like all the time.

Theres a private airport located just a few miles north, at times on approach i can see a face in a cessena, no big boys though.
those fighters had to be close to the ground, loud as all get out. wish it wasnt dark maybe could have caught a glimpse. although they probably saw me shooting a 200 lumen flashlight in the air, good thing they didnt shoot back...

Further to the Marines thing. Wet snow and freezing rain just moved in. Appears to be in about the two inch an hour range.

The .50 cals just started popping off at the range. Semper Fi! :roll:

jeeper said:
That would make me a bit crazy too! There is a train line that can be heard in the distance from my house, and every so often a train goes by that must be bigger or heavier and makes me take a look just to make sure there is no problem.
Never had a flue fire in all the years I have burned, but like you jeeper, every once in a while, one doesn't sound quite right and I have to look to make sure.....really ticks me off when I am in bed and just about asleep. :mad:

BrotherBart said:
Further to the Marines thing. Wet snow and freezing rain just moved in. Appears to be in about the two inch an hour range.

The .50 cals just started popping off at the range. Semper Fi! :roll:

most hope and pray for inclement weather to get off school, work etc.
Those boys (girls too) hate it. although BB i bet you cant hear the PT they have to do in addition.

Have three buds who are marines. just got done being a groomsmen for one of them.

Stump_Branch said:
most hope and pray for inclement weather to get off school, work etc.
Those boys (girls too) hate it. although BB i bet you cant hear the PT they have to do in addition.

Have three buds who are marines. just got done being a groomsmen for one of them.

Oh I know. It was Army, not Marines, but I was in Basic Training and Infantry AIT in January through April. Did the low crawl under machine gun fire thing in the snow.

I feel for'em down there every day like this.

yeah and I bet they feel for me as they are sitting close to the deck cruising above my house in a multi-million dollar 'exotic sports car' for the sky.
...reminds me of chevy chase in national lampons as whats her name rolls past in the ferrari....what i wouldnt pay to see her in an f-22 or the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.