Was this install done properly??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 29, 2011
CT
Just had our Napoleon 1100 installed, freestanding wood stove. Paid for a professional install, but I'm not so sure it's a good job.

From stove, stainless pipe goes up about 3 feet. Black elbow (shouldn't this be stainless too if we paid for stainless?) at 43degrees to horizontally angled pipe, about 55" long. Then horizontally angled pipe (like this \ ) hooks to into a T which hooks to a straight 12" pipe that inserts into masonry chimney. No liner/pipe in chimney, pipe inserted into chimney goes in just far enough to go in - can't see it from top of chimney. Pipe into chimney was "caulked" with some grey stuff he says was furnace cement - but 24 hours later is still flexible. Gaps form at top when pipe is wiggled. Maybe that just needs more time to cure?

My HUGE concern - I was assured chimney was fine and ready for burn. I said we needed to wait until the inspection. (THANK GOODNESS!!) Turned out my husband had a piece of cardboard inside the chimney to block some rainfall. So the first problem is that I KNOW he didn't inspect my chimney. Does the rest sound correct?

The heavyweights will be here soon but it sure doesn't sound good to me. One thing is for sure, the're going to want to see pics of this install. If it is going up through a masonry chimney, it definately should have been lined to the top. I'm becoming more and more convinced that the people here know a LOT more than the 'professionals' doing these installs. I'm getting tired of hearing all the stories of the lousy/lazy workmanship of these companies. :mad:

By the way momof2, what are nutlings?

Sounds like a real kluge job to me, from your description. Some pics would certainly help. You don't need Stainless Steel right off the appliance...you need it from the structure penetration to daylight. From the appliance to the penetration is steel stovepipe (connector pipe) either single-wall or double-wall. Just sticking the pipe into the masonry chimney and calling it done is the least desirable way to install the system. Whether or not to expect draft problems depends on cross-sectional areas of the flue gas flow path. What are the interior dimensions of the masonry flue in the chimney? Rick

WoodpileOCD said:
By the way momof2, what are nutlings?

The children. :) The nut doesn't fall far from... the bigger nuts. LOL

Attached a few quick pics - I think. If any more are needed I can snap them.

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 955
  • stove2.jpg
    stove2.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 916
Rick, the interior dimensions of the masonry chimney are approximately 8 by 12 rectangular.

Again, not a pro here but from your description and these pics, you're going to have a hell of a time getting this thing to draft properly IMHO.

WoodpileOCD, he told me to open the top T and stick a newspaper in there and light it to start the draft. Another weird thing I forgot to ask about in my original post. Never heard of such a thing. Doesn't mean it's wrong...

I swear I researched this guy, he's licensed, insured, A+ in the BBB. *sigh*

OMG! You need a full refund. That is a total mess.

So you're supposed to climb up on a ladder to start a newspaper fire in the T every time you want to start a fire? Am I understanding that correctly? The T you are talking about is at the ceiling, right?

Have you paid this guy yet?

Can't wait for the big guns to weigh in on this.

Well, it's a kludge. That looks like rigid liner pipe and much more length than I like to see with single-wall pipe. But hey, it's insulated. The masonry chimney is where things seem to fall apart. 8x12 ID = 96 sq in. that is about 3.4 times the area of the stove flue and is not up to spec. This chimney should have been lined, but cleaned first! And who sets a masonry chimney foundation on beam supports? This setup looks odd before the installer ever showed up. Whoever built this original (and I hesitate to use the word) chimney, sure didn't seem to give a hoot about clearances to combustibles.

Sorry to say, but the "chimney" should either have been ignored for this installation and a proper new flue run straight up. If it's going to be used, it needs a liner.

Is this a garage or what..I spy tool boxes.
None the less..the piping deal looks strange.

You said that is a masonry chimney, what is holding it up? Can the stove be moved closer to the flue? That stove would perform the best with a chimney liner, but it will work without a re-line, as long as that flue is sound. Did you ask for SS pipe? If so, that elbow should also be SS as you mentioned.

webby3650 said:
You said that is a masonry chimney, what is holding it up? Can the stove be moved closer to the flue? That stove would perform the best with a chimney liner, but it will work without a re-line, as long as that flue is sound. Did you ask for SS pipe? If so, that elbow should also be SS as you mentioned.

Wondering the same thing myself.

It's my husband's man-room (AKA uninsulated porch on the back of a 200 year old drafty house). :lol: And as for what's holding the chimney up, it's the beam under it. I imagine under the white it's a tree, like the rest of the house construction. Kinda neat how the made things back then.

Husband doesn't want stove any closer to chimney, then it's right splat in the middle of his man-room Would be scary if the kids were wandering around in there - not a lot of room there, it's very narrow. Probably would have been better to ignore the existing chimney and go right through the roof, but this was the way it got decided.

Bottom line is, it needs to be safe. My kids live in this house, KWIM?

WTF is that? Wow! I'd be kicking some ass!

I don't know Hog. Somehow I think the homeowner was somewhat involved in this compromise and the installer didn't have the guts to tell them to 86 this aborti0n of a chimney and just install it straight up. mom, am I wrong? That is what I would have told you. It may have cost the job, but I think in the final analysis, it would have cost the same and would be a 100% better job.

BeGreen, now as a wonderful wife I would never agree with that, but if I did, I wouldn't be wrong. And saying "I told you so" would't be effective now either. So I didn't say that either.

Dealing with it as it is, to be safe, I need to insist on either:

(1) insulated liner in the chimney

or

(2) rip it down and stick it through the ceiling properly, knock down that silly chimney

Am I understanding this properly?

10-4 mom.

PS: Has anyone tried lighting a fire in the stove yet? If so, how does it work so far?

BeGreen said:
10-4 mom.

PS: Has anyone tried lighting a fire in the stove yet? If so, how does it work so far?

To BeGreen's point, I ask again if my understanding is correct?

"WoodpileOCD, he told me to open the top T and stick a newspaper in there and light it to start the draft"

So you’re supposed to climb up on a ladder to start a newspaper fire in the T every time you want to start a fire? Am I understanding that correctly? The T you are talking about is at the ceiling, right?

WoodpileOCD, no fires in it yet, as the inspector has not been by to give it his OK yet.

And yes, climb up and light a fire at the T under the ceiling. Ridiculous, huh? He says this is the best way to start the draft. I figure if I have to live like this, that fire isn't EVER going out.

momof2nutlings said:
WoodpileOCD, no fires in it yet, as the inspector has not been by to give it his OK yet.

And yes, climb up and light a fire at the T under the ceiling. Ridiculous, huh? He says this is the best way to start the draft. I figure if I have to live like this, that fire isn't EVER going out.

WOW... I'm absolutely dumbfounded. :ahhh: :ahhh:

What in the world ! I gotta be honest there is no way in he!! I would burn in that setup :exclaim: First off that pipe needs to be run through the ceiling straight up if possible and use a proper ceiling box for a wood stove. That is a real Frankenstein of a job no installer should be able to sleep or live with himself after that. I hope you get that figured out before you guys have a real problem and someone gets hurt.

Be safe mom
Pete

I should really add as BeeGreen did the chimney needs a liner at least! If there is no liner and you have a chimney fire it WILL pulverize the brick and set the house on fire at those temps I have seen that happen on two seperate occasions it is not pretty.

Again be safe
Pete

I hate to say it, but I don't see that ever passing inspection. Not trying to burst your bubble. If that passes, the inspector knows less then the installer. Be careful with that please.

+1 to everything everyone else has said about this chimney!

By the way - can you shoot us a picture of where the stove is sitting so we can have a look see of that area?

Status
Not open for further replies.