1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Was This Properly Done?

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by bigblulbz, Jan 30, 2013.

1. bigblulbz

bigblulbz New Member

Loc:
    Georgetown, MA
    image.jpg

I don't think it's wron but I certainly think it could be better. Once it goes through the wall there is another T that sends it up above the roof. If putting a 90 here helps the draft, along with being properly sized, that is what I'll put here when done over.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. bigblulbz

bigblulbz New Member

Loc:
    Georgetown, MA
    Anyone?
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Seems like some money was wasted with the extra class A tee. It's redundant. Is the single-wall connector >18" away from the wall?
  4. bigblulbz

bigblulbz New Member

Loc:
    Georgetown, MA
    18" off fire protecting barrier 19" off finished wall. I don't mind putting a 90 there even if it makes cleaning a bit more involved. If you e seen the in stall in person you'd scratch your head a bit. I talked to Coaly last weeken complain about loading her up & not really having anything come morning. Pipe coming off the back is 6" but the T out is 8". Inside the T is a bit deformed so I figure overfired over the years probably could use a freshen up. There is a stone hearth and wall in the works, but I want the pipe correct. Do they make a 90 degree claw A for that section?
  5. A1Stoves.com

A1Stoves.com Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CA
    no, they dont make 90*s in class a pipe.

what is the ceiling clearance??? seems it would be close for s/w pipe
  6. tsquini

tsquini Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North Shore, MA
    I'm suspicious of this whole set up. The clearance from the ceiling seems tight. I have a double line pipe inside and I need a minimum of 8" from a combustible wall. Secondly, Using pavers to support the pipe or to dissipate heat throws up a red flag. Lastly, I can not tell from the photo angle. It looks like the pipe going out the window is sloping down. It should be sloping up so the heat can raise freely.
  7. Bret Chase

Bret Chase Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maine
    the simplest answer to the OP's question is... no.
  8. ridemgis

ridemgis Burning Hunk

Loc:
    South Kingstown, Rhode Island
    It looks like Class A chimney pipe so it should only need two inches to combustibles, no?

Double wall stove pipe is not insulated and needs the 8 inch clearance I think.
  9. bigblulbz

bigblulbz New Member

Loc:
    Georgetown, MA
    I don't like it either. The T with the clean out is Class A triple wall. Yes, it is tipping down. Not a fan. I was looking for a Class A 90* instead of the T. I want flow. I have a mason that we will be doing a wall as well as the hearth. The window will be done with proper masonry (cmu's, brick, not sure) and wood trim will be disposed of. Using a wall thimble of course. I want it right. I want it operating at optimum efficiency. Everything it is not now.

On a side note, when I do the hearth, I am expecting it to raise the stove 8" - 10" in total. I know there is not an exact pipe length for me. How is stove pipe cut? Will my tin snips do it? When the single walled stove pipe, should the male portion of the pipe be going vertical or vice versa.
  10. bigblulbz

bigblulbz New Member

Loc:
    Georgetown, MA
    Thanks in advance guys. I probably wont do this till summer, but want to get my ducks in a row.
  11. Bret Chase

Bret Chase Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maine
    snips will cut 24ga, but not happily through the seam... a zip wheel is much, much easier...
  12. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    Here's what needs to happen: Before you get the stone work done, remove the horizontal length of class A chimney. Reframe that opening and install a wall thimble. Then, from the thimble to the stove use double wall stove pipe. Use two 45's instead of a 90 if you are worried about draft.
    It looks like the reason the class A was used in this way was because of the clearance issue above the pipe. Double wall connector pipe has a 6" clearance, so that won't be an issue.

No matter what pipe you go with, make sure you get a slip section. This allows you to remove the pipe for cleaning with ease, and you won't have to cut it.;)