Was time to fuel up again

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy Rivers

Minister of Fire
Feb 7, 2010
NW Oregon
Today was cool, but dry and sunny.

Called the plant and they had plenty of shells, so we saddled up the Burb and headed out.

Got to the plant, weighed in, then loaded.

I caught a piccy of our dumpster under the huge hopper with shells trickling out of a very carefully (and barely) opened #2 drop gate.

This hopper is huge and can handle a semi trailer under it, so our little 3 yard dumpster is a PITA to get just right to fill.

We took on 2700# of shells today,

The stuff was great with minimal dusty fines and perfect sized pieces.

We got to try out (for the first time) our new barrel caddy.

OMG this thing is the CAT SASS

Stuff a 55 gallon drum in and loaded it's real easy to roll it around and tip it out when it's where you want it.
Sooooo much easier than a hand truck.

We had some help unloading (Grand kids) and all done in a couple hours out in the fresh air.

Were ready now for Feb to get nasty.

We will do one more run late in Feb to fill everything up and this will get us through and well into next fall when the crop comes in.

Snowy

Attachments

• shellrun2.JPG
    shellrun2.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 255
  • shellrun2a.JPG
    shellrun2a.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 255
  • shellrun2b.JPG
    shellrun2b.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 258
  • shellrun2d.JPG
    shellrun2d.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 245
Sure wish I had me a mill like that down the road ..................

How much does 2700# cost? And how long does it last?

$40 was the charge yesterday. Their price is 1-1/2 cents a pound.

On average we will burn two 5 gallon pails a day (About 40 pounds) in the Advantage II T (24 HRS)

If we are running on the Little Whitfield only about 25-30 pounds

With both running we go through 3 pails a day.

The stoves are always run on low setting, as the heat output is higher on this stuff.

Think of it as burning kindling instead of large wood.

Pellets are packed tight and the shells are small and relatively thin pieces, that burn much faster.

Total cost to heat 2300 + FT ranch style house for entire stove season $100
We get 3 dumpsters full per season

The first run was a tad light at about #2000
The season started early and we did not have room for a full load

First load $31
Second $40
Last ?? $40
Total $111 With some to start next fall with.

The actual cost per season is close in there

Snowy

Last edited:
Hoss

Our area is one of the largest hazelnut producing locations in the world ??? and we are 5 miles from the plant.

There are several plants within a 20 mile radius but most of them either leave the shells as 2 large halves or they grind the stuff up to near the consistency of large sand (pack more in a truck to get rid of it)

The plant we use runs all their materials through a stick/twig remover and then through a large trash fan to break it up.

The piccy of us under the hopper is at the #2 drop gate, and this area has the best materials. The light crap like hulls and stuff falls out first and the heaviest tend to land farther back in the hopper.

Not an exact science, but it works.

Walnut shells work great too, as do olive pits (Dry)

Loads of great biomass stuff out there to burn

I am so jealous. I tried to fine somewhere in the northeast where one could buy hazelnut shells to try but was unsuccessful.

I am surprised that there are no growers close.

Contact the Northern Nut Growers association inc.

They can likely tell you of any growers in your area.

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.