Washing machine advice you don't need

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I moved into my house, the hippy lady that formerly lived here did a lot of DIY- some OK, some not so OK. One wonderful thing that she did was to insulate the cold water pipes and not the hot water pipes. Another was to install a leaky ice maker in the existing freezer. Gee, thanks.

Anyway- we got a new efficient Frigidaire front-loading washer and dryer a year or more ago. We have had frequent error code "E70" on this appliance- like on a daily basis- which required a restart. I speculated on what E70 was, and at one point my wife told me it was low-pressure. It didn't sound right, or characteristic, for her to look that up- but I was content to believe it was our well pump pressure.

Finally yesterday it happened 5 times.My wife asked if I could figure out what E70 was. I think that my speculation on what sort of error codes it might have may have convinced her that E70 had to do with water pressure. OK- so I look it up and found the solution. The HOT and COLD taps were swapped! Since the Cold water tap was insulated- the installer made the reasonable assumption that it was the hot tap.

My bigger surprise was in how many people online had experienced the same error. I am sure that many washers don't flag an error for this sort of thing, so here's my advice- check that the hot and cold taps are correctly hooked up. We probably lost a lot of hot water, caused unnecessary fading of colors, and could have whiter whites if this had not happened. In fact- our new colored towels have faded surprisingly quickly.

Thanks for the heads up AP...Carol wants a front loader so when we get one I'll insist it'll operate on low well pressure...as far as the tap mix up goes...yeah I could see that happening...

...a lot of people refuse to believe that hot water pipes will freeze before cold water.

savageactor7 said:
...a lot of people refuse to believe that hot water pipes will freeze before cold water.

Huh? I thought it was the other way around.

Usually, the hot is on the left, but you already knew that...

Most pilot operated solenoid valves used on appliances need at least 20 PSI to operate properly.

Chris

Thats how I know its time to change the house water filter. The washer will stop running ;)

When our first house was built they piped hot water to the rear outside hose bib. A guy I worked with had hot water running to the toliets in his new mega bucks house.

BrotherBart said:
When our first house was built they piped hot water to the rear outside hose bib. A guy I worked with had hot water running to the toliets in his new mega bucks house.

MMM MMM MMM Shat stew. A boiling bubbling delight ;)

savageactor7 said:

Huh? Is this based on that old "hot water freezes before cold water" thing, which is entirely untrue? (think about it- hot water has to become cold water before it will freeze anyway)

Hogwildz said:
BrotherBart said:

MMM MMM MMM Shat stew. A boiling bubbling delight ;)

Bwaaa, ha, ha ,ha...........Yuck!

If you want a GREAT front loader, buy the LG. Webwidow is the queen of laundry and she says the 1200 RPM spin is the ultimate.

This is one washer that you won't find college kids getting into - wonder what 1200 RPM's would do..? Would a white mouse survive it in a padded cage?

Webmaster said:
If you want a GREAT front loader, buy the LG. Webwidow is the queen of laundry and she says the 1200 RPM spin is the ultimate.

This is one washer that you won't find college kids getting into - wonder what 1200 RPM's would do..? Would a white mouse survive it in a padded cage?

Craig, do you know which model LG you have?
My wife and I are shopping for a new washer and dryer. The dryer needs about 200 dollars worth of repairs and the washer is going on 13 years old. We're going to treat ourselves to a matching high efficiency set.

In the city it use to be our hot water pipe only would freeze and they were right next to the cold...so yeah that what a plumber told me. And I believed him too...I agree that it makes sense that water has to get cold to freeze...hell I use ice cubes all time.

savageactor7 said:
In the city it use to be our hot water pipe only would freeze and they were right next to the cold...so yeah that what a plumber told me. And I believed him too...I agree that it makes sense that water has to get cold to freeze...hell I use ice cubes all time.

Put hot water in the trays from now on. Maybe they will freeze faster. ;-)

Glowball Worming Bust said:
recently heard of mold smell from front loader that was not present with prior toploader.
infrequent use seems to be culprit.

GWB, this is with the Maytag Neptune series. I should know, we have one. It is not from infrequent use.

Save yourself the trouble and don't get a neptune.

myzamboni said:
recently heard of mold smell from front loader that was not present with prior toploader.

GWB, this is with the Maytag Neptune series. I should know, we have one. It is not from infrequent use.

Have you gotten in on the class action suit on those things?

Chris

the classical query=
put an equal amount of hot & cold water in 2 containers & put in freezer .
hot water will freeze first because the water shrinks as it cools= less water
when u figure in the energy required for the phase transition from water to ice, the math explains it quite well.

I've heard the arguement and did the experiment, the cold water froze first. Of course the volume and shape of the container and starting temps will all have an effect. I'll do the calculation when I have time (hey- I'm a chemist- no big deal).

Redox said:
myzamboni said:

Have you gotten in on the class action suit on those things?

Chris

Same problem with our neptune, we're looking @ getting a new washer but not before we get on rural water.
On the class action suit I doubt you ever see one Maytag was bought by Wirhlpool (sp?) last year my washer was made about 6 yrs ago so i doubt it would fall into one any ways

Just a small piece of advice related to the washing machine. If you use regular detergent in the HE machince it can and WILL clog the jets. A friend of mine just had to have her LG service due to clogging NOT covered by warranty because she didn't use HE! I got the Maytag Epic, like them alot, and I also am lucky enough to experience dirty clothes turning into clean folded clothes in my dresser. It might not happen immediately but I'm not complaining! ;-)

As for avoiding the mold smell(this is what my wife tells me if I ever get the urge to use the machine), after the was load leave the door cracked open. This will let the machine dry out and not hold in moisture. Old machines weren't airtight like today's side loaders so they don't get the air circulation the way the old ones did. Also I have seen her use a "Sanitize Cycle" usually once a month to keep the inside clean. Hope this info helps.

In regards to insulating the water pipes......I did insulate all the cold water pipes in the basement.....not to keep them from freezing, but to keep them from producing condensation during the summer and ultimately mold in the basement. I did insultate the hot as well though.

"In the city it use to be our hot water pipe only would freeze and they were right next to the cold...so yeah that what a plumber told me. And I believed him too...I agree that it makes sense that water has to get cold to freeze...hell I use ice cubes all time."

Cold water is used more often than hot water, so perhaps the more frequent flow through the cold water pipe is what prevented it from freezing.

Wife got new front load washer and dryer in February- after we built our home -yea !!!! no more laundry mat- did that for two years while building, sunday afternoon pain in the azz.
Bought LG Tromms and stacking kit. Bought at local Sears
Washer: WM2455HG
Dryer: DLE5955G
She loves them. MUST use 'HE' deterigent. Also must leave door open after wash- to dry out the tub.
Married 29 years- this is the first dryer we ever had- sure comes in handy in winter, not having all those clothes hanging around for days on end.
(She also got a Dishwasher in the kitchen- another first she now appreciates----me too!)
Were 'almost' civilized.

Status
Not open for further replies.