Washing machine don't spin!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Wolf

Minister of Fire
Jun 13, 2008
Eastern CT
Frigidaire probably 6 years old, front loader. The spin cycle no longer spins. It'll go through the wash cycle just fine, tumbling this way and that, but when it comes time to spin it just sits there. At first I thought it was the timer so I ordered one up and installed it, but it does the same thing with the new one. Now I’m thinking it may be the speed controller board. I can return the timer but it will have cost me $25 for shipping down and back. The controller board is $55 with $15 shipping. ($148 if I buy it from Sears) A new machine is around $500-600.

I hate to keep changing out parts and paying shipping both ways when they don’t work out, but a new machine is not feasible right now. If I call a service man (which I hate to do) I’m sure I’m looking at least $300.

Any appliance repairmen out there?

Thanks

ah marvelous, riding in on his horse once again.
you're the best blujacket.

clean dry close on the horizon Greg!

Thanks blujacket

I pulled the tech sheets and went through the trouble tree. everything checks out except the last step where they ask to check the resistance between two pins. If you get 6 ohms the board is bad if you get infinite (open) check the windings on the motor. I got 2.8 ohms. From the web site you gave me it looks like the speed controller board is the prime suspect.
If I don't hear anything to change my mind I'll order the controller board this weekend.

Thanks again
Greg H

Greg, those on line web sites can get expensive in their parts pricing. I went through the same thing for a dryer that ended up needing a main pcb.

Try here for parts

http://www.encompassparts.com/

I don't know if it will be cheaper that your pricing, but worth a shot.

Wish I knew more about washers .

Status
Not open for further replies.