WASHING VINYL SIDING

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingcow

Minister of Fire
Jun 4, 2008
northern-half of maine
Would like to wash my white vinyl. Got some dust and dirt on it, plus it's a little green in some places. Two story. I have a kick azz pressure washer, but I'd like to use just a hose. Got long wash poles plus the ability to go up on a lift. Well, on my tractors FEL. Tons of water and pressure. What a good cleaner to use?

Diluted bleach works for me. And it's cheap. Careful around plants and wood decks - unless you want to lighten the wood back to original. The pressure washer forces water under things where it's not supposed to go with normal rain.

I had off-white vinyl siding on my house in Virginia, part of which had a second story on it. It got to looking just as you described. I used my pressure washer, first with some commercial cleaner made just for that purpose, then (before buying any more of that) I tried it with water only. Worked like a charm...water alone did every bit as good a job as water with the cleaning stuff. I worked from ladders, so I was generally directing the stream downward...to avoid forcing water up in between the siding laps. Worked for me, house turned out looking clean as a whistle. I didn't even consider using just a garden hose...don't think I would have gotten as good a result. Rick

That was my thought about the pressure washer. I can dial down my pressure(from 1800lbs at 4 gals a minute) and crank the heat up. It'll run 200+ degree water. I understand the issues using a pressure washer, and like you did i can go down ward direction. Having the hot water will be a huge plus. When i get set up i will just try the water first. As long as I stay back a bit should be alright.

Many yrs ago i brought my pressure washer over to my BIL's. He was stripping paint off of wood siding. I got it all hooked up and grabbed my only tool i wanted to use. A cold beer. Handed him the unit, have fun. Only once his wife hollered something about water running down the the wall and ceiling. I then grabbed me another beer and stood way back. He only had the one mishap, all was well.

I just used a product that you mix with water and spray on and let Mother Nature take its course. I wish I had before pics. Its says it takes like 30 days to wash it all off. But within just 2 weeks the Green is gone and only a slight shadow of where it was remains. Im hoping in 2 more weeks thats gone.

I was skeptical. But its working. I also sprayed it on the bottom portion of my deck (green also) and it looks like regular wood.

I too have a Kick A$$ pressure washer w/ a Honda engine. I normally pressure wash the house and deck yearly. But may not have to use it so much. At least for this job.

Attachments

• 2012-04-01_18-39-42_895.jpg
    2012-04-01_18-39-42_895.jpg
    495.7 KB · Views: 262
Just as a point of reference, I used to have a weekend place out on the Shenandoah River when we lived in Virginia. This was a cedar-sided structure that hadn't been taken care of for many years. The west end was in the worst shape, as that's the direction from which the weather typically came. I wanted to clean & refinish the place. I started by pressure washing, using water only. The results were striking, as you can see in the pic. After washing & thorough drying time, I applied a semi-opaque cedar stain to the whole thing, with a really dark brown trim color. I was really proud of how it turned out...and I'll never do anything like that again. ;lol Rick

west2.jpg

I'd second the bleach and soap mix. I spray some version of the mix in a pressurized garden sprayer, let it sit for a while, and then rinse it off.

I'd second the bleach and soap mix. I spray some version of the mix in a pressurized garden sprayer, let it sit for a while, and then rinse it off.
This right here. Water, bleach and cheap liquid laundry detergent. Apply, let sit for a bit and wash off.

This right here. Water, bleach and cheap liquid laundry detergent. Apply, let sit for a bit and wash off.

How many parts of water, bleach, and detergent? I normally use a standard wash and use the pressure washer, but I am always wanting to try something new or "cheaper" than the cleaners that are $30 a gallon. !!

How many parts of water, bleach, and detergent? I normally use a standard wash and use the pressure washer, but I am always wanting to try something new or "cheaper" than the cleaners that are $30 a gallon. !!
1 part bleach, 1 part soap, 5 parts water. Dunno really, I just pour the junk in, but that should be a starting point you can adjust to your needs (i.e. green stuff growing - maybe more bleach. Dirty - maybe more soap, etc).

Reactions: DexterDay
Status
Not open for further replies.