Wasps on Chimney Top

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
Just when I got the nerve to go up on the roof again to do some caulking and after getting the 40' ladder into position, I notice a number of big wasps (hornets?) coming out of a siding corner (it's a chase, not a chimney) right at the top.

What can I do? Wait til a hard frost (caulk would need to be pre-warmed), wait til spring, get a spray can extender like this: http://www.amazon.com/Gotcha-Spraye...5PBO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1316970827&sr=8-3 . I'd need to get a wicked long pole though. I can imagine getting an accurate shot could be tough at that length. I guess even if it doesn't work, the long pole and the spray extender could come in handy one day.

Can you go up at night and spray? Or can you release a bug bomb (like a couple flea foggers) at the base of the chase?

I'm writing this pretty soon after I discovered this.
I ordered a gotcha.
I'll be lucky if I get the nerve to go up there during the day.
I like the fogger idea, but don't know exactly where the nest is, but it might be outside of the sheathing.

The foggers are worth a try if you have an access port on the bottom of the chase. I'd use a couple of them. And maybe follow up the next day with a third.

velvetfoot said:
I'm writing this pretty soon after I discovered this.
I ordered a gotcha.
I'll be lucky if I get the nerve to go up there during the day.
I like the fogger idea, but don't know exactly where the nest is, but it might be outside of the sheathing.

Having dealt with an epidemic of these in my house and barn this summer, research indicates that dusk and dawn are the best times to attack. I also wore a raincoat with the hood up, a dust mask, and mittens. My family almost expired from injuries suffered during an extreme and prolonged laughing fit :mad:

Thanks. There is no exposed nest. They seem to be hanging around one corner. So, when I spray, it'll be here and there, so best done at a distance. I found a 23' extenda pole at the HD. So, with the 20 feet range as advertised, maybe I can reach to 33'. Or maybe not.

I've had good luck with the foaming spray on the market. Expands into the hole well and stick there so the subsequent creatures who leave get whacked as well.

pen

That is a very common place to find the wasps. It is always better to find them when you are at a distance rather then putting a ladder up and then climbing only to find yourself surrounded by some ticked off wasps! Experience speaks here.

I also have used the foaming spray many times and have never been stung while spraying. The stuff pretty much whacks them all really fast.

Another vote for the foam. If you know where they enter/exit - climb up just after dark and use the foam on them. It will expand behind the siding and they will be unable to fly out thru the foam.

I got tired of looking at the ladder leaning on the house, so this morning I rattled it some and didn't see any hornets. Maybe they were just hanging around up there that warm day-it was a little cool this morning. Anyway, went up, caulk that I gobbered on there last year still looks good, so I'm going to say it's just a severe rain and wind thing and put a bucket at the bottom of the chase, and call it a day. At least I used that pole to get a starter string over the peak so I could get a "safety" rope up there. That 40' ladder is one heavy ladder.

Status
Not open for further replies.