Wasting Firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutter

Feb 20, 2009
Tecumseh Kansas
I needed a new small mallet for some of my better chisels. So I decided to chuck up some hedge (Osage Orange) in the lathe and make one. After I was done, I thought that it was so pretty that I would waste some more wood. Next came the large maul head which I still have to turn a handle for. Then the smaller maul. The head weighs just under 6lbs. I thought that I would use it instead of a sledgehammer on falling wedges sense I just finished dressing them off after having them way too mushroomed and starting to split off little pieces of schrapnel.
A bonus to my puttering around was that I swept up my turnings off the floor and mixed them up with some melted wax to make some fire starters. Once it gets cold and we are burning 24/7 we never need to start a fire. So I have enough startes to last a looooong time. FYI, a piece 1"X1.5"X2" burns for about 12 minutes. How does that compare with store bought ones?
Brads

hedge001.jpg

hedge002.jpg

hedge003.jpg

hedge004.jpg

I wouldn't call it a waste of fire wood.
Personally I think misappropriation of fire wood would be more pleasing to the ears.
I think you did a great job and since you did make the shavings in to fire starters at least most if the tree will wind up in the stove.
I sure would have thought you could have got a little more out of 4 trees than 1 full mallet and 2 mallet heads ;-P

That's not firewood, it's bow wood. Bois d arc

Status
Not open for further replies.