Watch out you guys out east

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
It appears right now that the hurricane will come on land somewhere in the Carolinas and that probably means it will then turn north and some of you may get some really heavy rain. That could be a case where covering the wood piles might make sense. Nasty things those storms are.

btw, I just found out there was a tornado only about 10 miles from us last Saturday afternoon. I recall looking out a south window and telling the wife that the sky did not look good. We had some high wind and heavy rain for a short time but thankfully no tornado. Never been in one, never want to be in one.

I was thinking about throwing a tarp over this year's pile. We'll see. I can do it fast if needed.

Matt

Yep, wind & rain if it follows the projected path. Keep a watch. Tie the tarps down real well.
Texas needs it to come there way & bring some rain, just not the wind damage. Good & bad of hurricanes.
Just rainy season here. Expect frost if we get some clear weather.

Yep. The current model tracks have the eye coming right over our house. Exactly the same track as the one in Sept. 2004 that spun down a tornado 18 feet from the corner of the the house and blew down 36 beautiful trees.

I ain't likin this.

BrotherBart said:
Yep. The current model tracks have the eye coming right over our house. Exactly the same track as the one in Sept. 2004 that spun down a tornado 18 feet from the corner of the the house and blew down 36 beautiful trees.

I ain't likin this.

There are two that I remember the most clearly from our 12 years there in NOVA. One was the "remnants of Fran" in 1996...I have never seen rain like that anywhere, before or since. Then in 2003 came Isabel. What a mess. Power out for days on end, Shenandoah valley flooded. You know the drill, BB...get your supplies laid in, check out the generator, hunker down, and hope for the best. Good luck...let's hope Irene doesn't go down as one to remember. Rick

Yeah Isabel and Ivan smacked us big time. Isabel I knew was coming in the middle of the night. Laid down two huge oaks not thirty feet in front of the house. Fortunately 180 away from the house. Ivan caught me by surprise in the middle of the day when I look at the window and the sky was green and the hail started this old Texas tornado alley boy knew what was happening. Could have cried ten minutes later when I walked out and what had been a canopy of 80+ foot oaks and poplars were just blue sky.

The damage from that storm heated this place from then until this year. And I haven't even cut the ones that had the tops twisted out of them but survived. Every one of them had the top twisted off at thirteen feet off the ground. I quit counting at 36 on the ground and came back to the house.

The only good thing about a storm: abundant free firewood! Here we get wind/tornadoes/heavy icing but no hurricanes or salt water

NextEndeavor said:
The only good thing about a storm: abundant free firewood! Here we get wind/tornadoes/heavy icing but no hurricanes or salt water

What irks me about that free storm firewood is that I am still making mortgage payments on those trees years after I burned them. I would have rather have bought the wood. >:-(

XactLEE said:
I hauled out a BIG chunk of rubber roofing tonite. Looks like I'll be putting it on friday. eF'in 'cane!!

I have a piece of it that I, up until last year, covered six cord with. Used three smaller pieces when I built the six cord wood shed this year and just put some kinda heavy stuff on it to hold it down. Looks like I need to figure out how to get that big bazillion pound piece up on top of it this week.

Damn, that stuff is heavy.

Attachments

• wood shed.jpg
    wood shed.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 547
As of today, its coming right at us. (Raleigh NC). That means theres a trip to the ABC store in my future.

I dont see any point to covering the wood, tarps will just fly away and the wood will dry by the time Im ready to burn it.

Backwoods Savage said:
It appears right now that the hurricane will come on land somewhere in the Carolinas and that probably means it will then turn north and some of you may get some really heavy rain. That could be a case where covering the wood piles might make sense. Nasty things those storms are.

btw, I just found out there was a tornado only about 10 miles from us last Saturday afternoon. I recall looking out a south window and telling the wife that the sky did not look good. We had some high wind and heavy rain for a short time but thankfully no tornado. Never been in one, never want to be in one.

Mondays info on some possible tracks .Under storm list click on Irene.

http://vmcluster.wright-weather.com/model_tracks.html

zap

My condolences, Bart. The idiot builders we used in MI damaged the bark and/or roots of many nice old trees, and they've been dying off for the last 8 years. It's a shame to watch what was a nice chunk of woods become a large clearing. Didn't lose nearly so many as you, though.

On the possible upside, maybe Irene will take down the half of the bradford pear tree that survived a previous hurricane (not sure if it was Isabel or Ivan). It's a county tree in the road right-of-way, is pretty much at the end of its useful life, and partially shades my new solar cells for the last hour or so of daylight.

Looks like some overtime and more firewood this weekend........ 2 for 1 score ;-P

BrotherBart said:

I ain't likin this.

Brother B I hope it's path heads out to sea for ya.

Watching storm tracks ... we are over due. Called the tree guy to get here and take care of the 2 leaners in the back, ASAP.

Everybody keep your gun powder dry.

One good thing about living up here in Maine . . . most of the hurricaines either spin out to sea or are pretty tuckered out by the time they get up here and just have a bit of wind and rain.

I once lived on an island in Buzzards Bay
At least twice a year the moon tide would flood the back yard and street.
It was funny to watch little piles of snow floating down the street when it happened in the Winter.
Not so funny when the pile of wood in the back yard started floating around the neighborhood.
(stacks tend to stay put, been stacking ever since)

Done the clean the yard a hurricane is coming too many times.

I'd probably take the tarps in though.

firefighterjake said:
One good thing about living up here in Maine . . . most of the hurricaines either spin out to sea or are pretty tuckered out by the time they get up here and just have a bit of wind and rain.

We are normally lucky up here in N Central PA too. Usually bad thunderstorms is all we get. Forecast for here next few days is nothing unusual for this time of year. Went to TWC to see the track and noticed they are predicting above normal temps for most of us Sept to Nov.

fossil said:
BrotherBart said:

I ain't likin this.

There are two that I remember the most clearly from our 12 years there in NOVA. One was the "remnants of Fran" in 1996...I have never seen rain like that anywhere, before or since. Then in 2003 came Isabel. What a mess. Power out for days on end, Shenandoah valley flooded. You know the drill, BB...get your supplies laid in, check out the generator, hunker down, and hope for the best. Good luck...let's hope Irene doesn't go down as one to remember. Rick

I was a raft guide in Harpers Ferry during both of those events...sure made for some nice high water to play on :cheese:

Backwoods Savage said:

I was within a mile of a tornado once. It was a weird day. The sky turned black at 2:00PM...I didn't know it could get that drak, and all the security lights turned on. The wind was calm and there was no rain. This lasted about 10 minutes.

Then it lightened up and the sky turned green...and all hell broke loose. There was a confirmed F3 on the ground and the damage was unreal. Corn fields were reduced to nubs....trees destroyed.

Imagine taking a 1 inch branch, breaking it, twisting it...etc into two pieces. Takes some effort and strenght, right? Ever pulled up a shrub with your tractor or pickup? Takes some grunt.

Now imagine trying to do that with a 30 inch tree. Amazing power.

Just bought 5gals of fresh gas for the chainsaws, 10gals diesel for the tractors which are almost full already. Sharpening the saws this afternoon and tying everything down for any high winds this Sunday and Monday. Two weeks ago the town saw 40 or so trees blown over blocking three major roads. Kept us busy on the FD. but no serious problems. The good part is that everyone helps get the town open and makes sure that their neighbors are okay. Great living in a small town. Be safe.
Ed

And now we have earthquakes to worry about as well! I hope all you Richmond area folks are still in one piece.

colebrookman said:
Just bought 5gals of fresh gas for the chainsaws, 10gals diesel for the tractors which are almost full already. Sharpening the saws this afternoon and tying everything down for any high winds this Sunday and Monday. Two weeks ago the town saw 40 or so trees blown over blocking three major roads. Kept us busy on the FD. but no serious problems. The good part is that everyone helps get the town open and makes sure that their neighbors are okay. Great living in a small town. Be safe.
Ed

I agree Ed. That is one thing that is great about living in a small town or better yet, out in the country. Folks just pitch in and help their neighbors.

Status
Not open for further replies.