Watch that wire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
The story is that they were slinging the cable over this log load in order to secure it. Trouble is they slung it a bit too far and didn't notice the power wires. Ouch!

Attachments

• Logging fire.jpg
    Logging fire.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 433
Thats ember-assing....

Yup, not just limbs you have to worry about!

Alright, get all the crews back here into the yard ASAP! We're gonna have a Safety Standown, and everyone's gonna sit through the Powerpoint presentation on cable slinging AGAIN! Rick

Hopefully it was just the trees that turned into charcoal.

I spent a few years as a system operator/power supervisor for the local power company and although I never witnessed anything like that I did hear all the stories and saw quite a few videos of similar events. Usually it involved a dump truck, crane, extendable ladder, car accidents etc. Hopefully the relay system in substation and breaker trip in a minimal amount of cycles with no reclosure scheme.

This may not be the area to discuss this "scheme" but can Rockey elaborate on the re-closure he's referring to? If I remember correctly it's the power resetting it's own breaker after a trip. It poses a major electrical hazard after someone has assumed power has been shut down. However, I don't know enough about it.

mtcox said:
This may not be the area to discuss this "scheme" but can Rockey elaborate on the re-closure he's referring to? If I remember correctly it's the power resetting it's own breaker after a trip. It poses a major electrical hazard after someone has assumed power has been shut down. However, I don't know enough about it.

A "79 relay" can be set to reclose a tripped breaker in X amount of seconds(usually 3-5) after a breaker event. Furthermore a second or third reclose may also be incorporated into the relay scheme. Most of us can recall a storm where the power went out for a few seconds and then came right back on and held, this is a good example of a reclosure system doing its job. These were for nuisance trips, wind blowing a branch into a line, lightning, etc.

No reclosure systems are used on underground cables or downtown networks as these breaker trips are rarely nuisance trips.

Question.How many BTU is the truck putting out. :bug:

One of my old PBR battle buddies in BC sent me about 4-5 photos of that same accident..in 1 photo you could see the inner logs on the truck glowing red...that truck was cooking, luckily the driver survived.

I Think they will get an overnight burn out of that firebox.

I wonder if the electricty dried out the wood faster? :eek:hh: I wonder if I could to that to egt my wood to season in 1 day compared to one year! ..................... :lol:

Awwww man not again :bug:

Oh I just hate it when that happens.

Well better call the office 8-/no safety bonus this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.