Watch those chains!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
Found this as I was unloading black walnut splits from my truck a couple weeks ago:

Winterpics002.jpg

This was a "yard tree" so its no surprise. Judging by how far in it was I'd say it's been waiting about 25 years to ruin a saw chain ;)

Badfish740, I wonder if the chain would cut through that or would you get some sort of kickback.

Zap

zapny said:
Badfish740, I wonder if the chain would cut through that or would you get some sort of kickback.

Zap

It would cut right through it, but your chain is going to have some damage.

same thing happened to me last spring (thats when the wood was cut) when i split it this month, lo and behold, a nail! this was midpoint of the piece (20"-er) so i was glad that i cut the sizes i did that day! now don't be telling me that i need to split the wood earlier than that. i know. this was basswood and all i used that piece for was kindling. agreed, the chain would cut through that but you would sure tell right away that you hit it!

:roll: Speaking of stuff I cut through inside of trees. I was about 40-50ft. up in a Douglas fir, I heard a funny noise and the saw felt funny for a moment, then as I finished the cut I pushed off the block and looked at the top of the log. There in front of me was half of a ceramic insulator like you would use for hanging electrical wire. The bolt was long gone rusty powder. The whole thing was weird because it had no real ill effect on the chain.

Another excuse to post this picture from about a year ago. This was completely hidden inside the round.
0201101455.jpg

I had some 2ft Silver Maple rounds from summer '96 storm cleanup that had a few surprises.Not quite as large as that long bolt,but did discover about 6 3/8" x 12"s spikes sticking in almost 1/2 way.Was looking for large logs for turned salad & fruit bowls at the time,it pays to be alert when scrounging any big old yard trees.A few yrs before that I noticed a 3/8" X 5" galvanized eye bolt buried in a large apple trunk from a small commercial orchard I was hired to clear out.All that was visible was the top part of the 'ring',the rest was inside.No rust at all on that heavy hardware,guessing it was first 'installed' 40 yrs previous,still was rust-free,even the exposed area.

smokinjay said:
zapny said:

Zap

It would cut right through it, but your chain is going to have some damage.

Yup. Regular common nails up to 16 penny arent as bad as other hardware.Luckily I havent hit any hardened steel bolts or screws in my years of scrounging.I've seen all kinds of stuff buried in 'yard trees'.Ceramic insulators,bullets,those small triangular knives from scycle bar mowerheads...you name it.

Status
Not open for further replies.