Watch those fire pits - especially if you home has nat gas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I'm glad his injuries were only minor. I'll bet he won't ever forget this birthday.

YEs they do use plastic for gas lines around here but only under the street. Once they are on the customers property(after the meter) they are all black iron pipe.

Wow. Don't know the routing of your lines? Mark your utilities and photograph the marks before the paint degrades!
Glad I don't have gas. 2 houses in my hometown exploded when I was growing up.

Natural Gas heat IME has been quite safe around here ,and i install it in every home i redo unless its not available. Most people are used to the lazy way of space heating these days and dont want to do any work other than to adjust the thermostat. Probably do not dwell on how much work needs to be done to make the cash (after taxes) at a job to pay the bill. I tell people the extra work i do to heat with solid fuel pays me the equivalent of about $150 an hour in winter. They just look at me funny. But yes ,for the great majority of the general public, NG heat is the bomb (pun intended)

Reactions: WiscWoody
Wow, I would never suspect that gas lines could be fed by PVC.
Must have been pretty close to the surface, or they dug the pit WAY down.

Wow, I would never suspect that gas lines could be fed by PVC.
Must have been pretty close to the surface, or they dug the pit WAY down.
I dont think its PVC ,probably more like PEX ,pretty tough stuff ,but not fireproof. Its yellow or orange in color, but like i said around here its just under the street till it gets under your meter location , then adapts to metal pipe underground before it exits the ground thru metal pipes to your meter.

Reactions: firebroad
It's polyethylene like waterline. Quite strong and superior at resisting the more typical cause of problems which is corrosion.

I've poked quite a few holes in the ground over the years in my line of work. Shortly after I moved in to this place i placed a call to the state locator service. Wasn't planing on digging in the near future, but from that day I knew where all my services ran. Plenty of digging since then that I should have called for, but I "knew where everything is"
Not a bad practice for a new homeowner.

Now if they could only find my remote control...

Reactions: Bobbin
A year after we moved in here I came home from work to the sight of three pickups and a huge backhoe blocking my driveway. A supervisor came running to throw cold water on me. Seems the electric company decided they needed another guy wire on the pole at the end of the driveway and augured clear through the 200 pair phone cable that runs from the phone company CO down the side of my driveway. I took him by the arm and walked him to his pickup and pointed to the sign on the side of it that said "Before You Dig. Call Miss Utility". He didn't look pleased.

Two guys sat in a hole down there for a week rain and shine patching pairs of wires. We took them coffee and sandwiches. They told me that they make good money going where they want to go doing that. Always have work wherever they want to go.

I have exactly two lines underground here, both of the the cable company. I am going to have to replace my mailbox (again) due to careless snowplow drivers, and I am waiting for the complete response/report from Miss Utility. Funny thing is, I seem to be the only one who thinks this is necessary. So much for, "...it's the law".

We buried the juice when we built the bahn. Straight run from the pole to the NE corner of the building, along the foundation to the meter, and from there a straight run into the house. A low lot means drainage and we know where the clean out and all those pipes are, too. Photographs are key! You think you'll remember... but after several years... well; "are you sure about that?".

Lucky sucker with the gas line and fire pit! wowza.

Status
Not open for further replies.