Water around the bottom of the endeavor this am after heavy rain and wind last night???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

puller738

Hearth Supporter
Nov 21, 2009
IL
This is my first year of burning wood. I had a lopi endeavor installed last spring and so far I have used it about 10 times and I love it. Yesterday I decided to test out my new sooteater on the chimeny. The thing worked great for bottom up cleaning. I also took my chimney cap off and inspected the chimney. I noticed a little black glazed creosote which extended about a foot down the chimney. My plan is to burn some creosote logs over the next few burns and clean it again. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated!

Also, this morning i noticed water at the bottom of the stove and I immediately thought that the cap came off last night in the strong winds. Not the case, the cap is on however I did leave my flue control open last night and the winds were gusting to 50mph with heavy rain. Please tell me that I'm bound to have a little water in and around the stove in this case. thanks!!!!!

50 mph and a heavy rain would put some water down the chimney, just the amount that's down there is what depends. Cutting your damper wouldn't have mattered since they're not tight and the water would just deposit a bit more on the damper than at the bottom of the stove. I'm hoping we're talking a few drops/small pool , not cups and cups.

Thanks for the reply!! Yes, a couple of small pools of water below the stove and a little water on the stove. Winds had to have been blowin the rain sideways so I'm assuming it has to be somewhat normal to have a little water around the stove based on the winds and the amount of rain we had last night. I HOPE!!!!

That sounds like too much water to me. On my old single wall setup that was in really bad shape I rarely had more than a few drops.

I've been through some heavy rain and winds like yours in the last few weeks and bone dry with mine.

Maybe elaborate on your pipe setup for others to comment on.

puller738 said:
This is my first year of burning wood. I had a lopi endeavor installed last spring and so far I have used it about 10 times and I love it. Yesterday I decided to test out my new sooteater on the chimeny. The thing worked great for bottom up cleaning. I also took my chimney cap off and inspected the chimney. I noticed a little black glazed creosote which extended about a foot down the chimney. My plan is to burn some creosote logs over the next few burns and clean it again. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated!

Also, this morning i noticed water at the bottom of the stove and I immediately thought that the cap came off last night in the strong winds. Not the case, the cap is on however I did leave my flue control open last night and the winds were gusting to 50mph with heavy rain. Please tell me that I'm bound to have a little water in and around the stove in this case. thanks!!!!!

Do some checking on this product, we use it and like the way it works.

http://www.chimneysaver.com/anti_creo_soot.html

This is what we had from cleaning our chimney after using ACS. This was after burning about 10 face cord.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/61442/

zap

Thanks for the tip on ACS. I'll pick some up this week.

I have about 7 ft of double wall on the inside with a 45 elbow at the top and about 6 ft of stainless duratech class A on the outside.

puller738 said:
Thanks for the tip on ACS. I'll pick some up this week.

I have about 7 ft of double wall on the inside with a 45 elbow at the top and about 6 ft of stainless duratech class A on the outside.

They say it will turn that glaze to a fluffy type of ash after a few fires, I have the duratech on the outside also. Getting back on the ACS we spray once the fire is good and hot on start ups and on reloads.

Someone on here said they had fire come back towards the bottle when spraying (it never happened to me)

zap

puller738 said:

You will always find the top of the chimney has the most gunk in it. When you are brushing it, use a scrubbing action and that should remove it good enough. Some like the stuff you burn in the stove but we've never seen the need for it. As for the water, that does not sound good.

Status
Not open for further replies.