water chemistry and plate style heat exchanger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stefan66

Nov 26, 2010
ThunderBay Ontario
Great forum
Wondering if I,m going to run into any fouling or corrosion issues
using stainless flat plate heat exchanger with water stored in
a concrete tank.Planning on putting a 50 micron filter in-line.

An un-lined concrete tank? I have installed a few concrete tanks above and below ground for thermal storage. These were sourced locally from septic tank manufacturers. They tend to show hairline cracks and I worried about thermal shock opening the cracks to the point of leaking. So I chose to line them with EPDM liners.

The tanks I used did have an oily surface from the form release oil they sprayed before pouring. As long as the ph of your fluid does not react with the concrete I don't think you would have any issues.

hr

stefan66 - Did you end up using a Liner in your concrete tank? How did you insulate your tank?

Have been thinking about using a 1000 gal septic tank for heat storage and am excited to see that someone else tried it.

Hidden_Cottage said:
stefan66 - Did you end up using a Liner in your concrete tank? How did you insulate your tank?

Have been thinking about using a 1000 gal septic tank for heat storage and am excited to see that someone else tried it.

I've insulated with rigid styrofoam on the outside of the tank.
I believe it was 2 inches under, 4 inches sides, 6 inches on top. No liner in tank.
Ended up building my own heat exchanger out of copper.

Status
Not open for further replies.