1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Water heater insert / boiler mod for P61/45/38

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by nate vignola, Jan 27, 2013.

1. nate vignola

nate vignola New Member

So looking at the comments and after evaluating the fear factor of using the insert, what factors are the most important to people?
    1-No mod to the fire box, 2-ease of use, 3- how much DHW can be supported, 250/500/750/1000 gallons/week? 4- beauty factor needs (stove in the basement, center piece of the living room)?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. KodiakII

KodiakII Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
    Just remember steam can be up to 1600 times the volume of water...
  3. Bioburner

Bioburner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West central Mn
    Had a gas fired water heater blow in twin cities when I was on fire dept. Went from the basement up through the 2 story home and out into the street and killed a dog. The house was totalled as it toke it off the foundation. Replace those safety valves. Owner had plugged his with a pipe plug because it was leaking.
    KodiakII likes this.
  4. nate vignola

nate vignola New Member

That's unfortunate- that is why using a drain back tank is the key to no steam. Since these tanks are vented to atmosphere (no pressure) it's not possible for steam to build up, never mind rely on a safety valve that might fail closed.
  5. nate vignola

nate vignola New Member

True, but not following the thought- can you elaborate on this pertaining to the insert?
  6. KodiakII

KodiakII Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
    Valves fail, people screw up! Water + heat=steam. I've been working on my stationary/power engineers papers and I too know the power/danger of steam.
  7. nate vignola

nate vignola New Member

My sentiments exactly- take out the valve and vent the tank. Nothing left to fail, nothing left to screw up....
  8. Bioburner

Bioburner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West central Mn
    I've seen how people can screw up most anything. Seen some people so dumb they could kill a pet rock.
  9. nate vignola

nate vignola New Member

you mean the having the brains of a wet paper fish? LOL...