Water heater insert / boiler mod for P61/45/38

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So looking at the comments and after evaluating the fear factor of using the insert, what factors are the most important to people?
1-No mod to the fire box, 2-ease of use, 3- how much DHW can be supported, 250/500/750/1000 gallons/week? 4- beauty factor needs (stove in the basement, center piece of the living room)?

Just remember steam can be up to 1600 times the volume of water...

Had a gas fired water heater blow in twin cities when I was on fire dept. Went from the basement up through the 2 story home and out into the street and killed a dog. The house was totalled as it toke it off the foundation. Replace those safety valves. Owner had plugged his with a pipe plug because it was leaking.

Reactions: KodiakII
Had a gas fired water heater blow in twin cities when I was on fire dept. Went from the basement up through the 2 story home and out into the street and killed a dog. The house was totalled as it toke it off the foundation. Replace those safety valves. Owner had plugged his with a pipe plug because it was leaking.
That's unfortunate- that is why using a drain back tank is the key to no steam. Since these tanks are vented to atmosphere (no pressure) it's not possible for steam to build up, never mind rely on a safety valve that might fail closed.

Valves fail, people screw up! Water + heat=steam. I've been working on my stationary/power engineers papers and I too know the power/danger of steam.

Valves fail, people screw up! Water + heat=steam. I've been working on my stationary/power engineers papers and I too know the power/danger of steam.
My sentiments exactly- take out the valve and vent the tank. Nothing left to fail, nothing left to screw up....

I've seen how people can screw up most anything. Seen some people so dumb they could kill a pet rock.

I've seen how people can screw up most anything. Seen some people so dumb they could kill a pet rock.
you mean the having the brains of a wet paper fish? LOL...

Status
Not open for further replies.