Water hissing in stove pipe outside

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie

Minister of Fire
Been burning many years and never noticed this one before.

We just came home frome a 3 week vacation.

We have not used the wood stove at all this season until tonight....... and it has rained a lot recently so I suspect this is the reason my stainless double wall pipe outside is hissing but wanted to know if anyone else ever experienced this.

Lit my stove for the first time tonight and it got up to good hot temps and noticed the usual "new season hot pipe smell" so went outside to double check pipe and noticed it was hissing and water was around a couple seams.

It acts as though lots of rain got into the pipe liner and since it is the first heat up it is hissing.

The pipe was cleaned well recently from stove to top but not used or heated up since.

The pipe actually seemed pretty hot on the outside too but stove temps did not seem to be that high.........wonder if water inside pipe could make the pipe hotter ?

Going to check pipe in the morning for anything odd.

Any ideas ?

Thanks.

Robbie

Would need pics of pipe system, and a closeup or two of the joints.

I've never noticed that with ours.

Further investigation reveals clean pipe all the way and also I found out it had rained many inches while we were gone on vacation......... so I am assuming the double wall pipe got some water in it that has not been able to dry out yet and will evenually dry out as we use the stove.

Thanks for the replies.

Robbie

Why would the pipe get water in it? I think the overlap on the joints flash over and down to keep water out. The top should have a rain cap. If the insulation in your pipe is soaked it will not be as effective. The boiling water could create steam pressure inside the outer jacket and damage the venting.

If you are content with "oh well it has water in it" then fine... but I would like to see the venting and the joints because this does not sound right.

Status
Not open for further replies.