water in the wood chamber

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

Hearth Supporter
Aug 16, 2010
new mexico
I just started the eko 40 up yesterday. Wow what a cool furnace. I am now heating up all my 1000 gallons of storage. The first few burns sure stunk up the wood shed. I noticed water dripping in the wood chamber. Is this normal. The wood I was burning is very dry. I am in new Mexico so hardly any humidity.

Any chance you're seeing shiny creosote stalactites? Lots of creosote is very normal. Water is not, although I suppose it's possible that you might be driving off moisture from the refractory. Maybe.

If you have a leak, it will likely drip when there's no fire. That's bad, but should be covered under warranty. Where is the water appearing?

What is the temperature of the water entering the boiler from your storage?

If cold water from your storage (that has never been heated yet from its original ground temperature from your well) is going straight into the boiler it might be possible to get condensation in the firebox but that should go away once the water returning from storage starts to warm up within normal operating limits.

If you don't have some sort of "return temperature protection" and the water continues to enter the boiler at less than about 130F or 140F minimum you will continue to get condensation of water in the firetubes (that you might not see) and that will reduce the life of the boiler considerably.

nofossil i think what i thought was water is infact shiny creosotestalactites. there are a lot of them so that is normal?

hulk said:
nofossil i think what i thought was water is infact shiny creosotestalactites. there are a lot of them so that is normal?

Absolutely normal. I (like many) took the time to try and scrape the creosote out of the primary chamber. Never mind - it's harmless. I'll clean it out of the door opening, but otherwise I just leave it.

One question, though - are you idling a lot? Stalactites seems a bit excessive. I usually get a lumpy layer about 1/8" thick with a few large flakes on it.

Here's a picture of the back surface of my primary chamber:

Attachments

• flue-tc.jpg
    flue-tc.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 198
looks just like mine

Status
Not open for further replies.