Water pot for an insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

derecskey

Jun 25, 2008
Geauga, OH
Hi I have a small insert (Buck 21) with a surround. My hearth is maybe 18" of sandstone in front of that. I have a blower box on the bottom of my insert that is maybe 4-5" deep.

If I fear that my house is becoming dry, what is the best way to release some humidity into the house? It seems like most water pots are made for stovetops. Will placing a pot anywhere on the sandstone hearth release moisture? Is placing it more center so that the blower air crosses it more effective? Should I not worry about moisture? Can I take 'wet' pieces of seasoned firewood and stand them on the hearth, effectively drying them by releasing moisture into the air?

Thanks.

I never noticed a difference last year with drying out snowy wood. However, I found that a copper pot got humidity going quickly. A cast iron pot seemed to take longer to steam, but also extended output longer due to heat retention properties. Even so, I think I still need a "real" humidifier to have enough output to get good gains during 24/7 season. Good luck

THere's an idea. Could buy one of those copper 'log holder' pots and fill it and put it on the hearth. Wife would probably like that.

Alot of pots dont fit on top of the inserts. They do make half kettles out of alluminum which do fit on inserts. You just have to fill them up more frequently.

My half kettle still lasts a day, I don't remember the capacity but it is a lot more than I thought! Besides the humidity is well worth it on the cold dry days!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.