Water soaked pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oilstinks

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 25, 2008
western NC
Pulled out some dead pine rotten about an inch in today. the rotten part is real wet. Will theis stuff dry out by Nov. if i stack it on my porch in the dry.

You could try it as you have nothing to lose. I've not burned a whole lot of pine but when we have pine die around here it goes bad quite fast so if it were me, I'd look for something a bit better.

Dont suger coat it Dennis lol....I would move on pine is hard enough to deal with when its perfect!

You should be able to "peel" the outter rotten part of with a good shap axe. I was able to use my Fiskars Super Splitter for that on some punky pine I split.

the rotten /punky part could be dry and falling off on its own in a week or two if its kept out of the rain

maybe on the rest of it even if cut and split.

I tend to let pine sit with the oak just to make sure it's well seasoned.

I wouldn't waste time cleaning them up unless you need the punk for compost or mulch or something.
Handling them roughly before bringing them in should knock most of the loose stuff off.
Course, I'm lazy like that and don't find that a vacuum cleaner is all that complicated to operate.

If it's really wet, sponge-like punk I would hack it off or haul it back into the woods . . . while I'll burn just about anything I find that often punk isn't worth dealing with . . . and on pine it's another strike . . . even though I don't mind burning pine for the shoulder seasons. Even if it dries up nicely, it will burn pretty quickly.

We have a bunch of pine in the back that was cleared whenever the gas well went in, and it's mostly punky crap. I've cut some that wasn't real bad (and was VERY surprised about), but won't go back for more. I just did one in the power line a couple days ago that was in good shape, and that'll get used for shoulder weather, but I'm finding that unless it's here on the property and easy pickin's, I'm probably not messing with it.
The ROI isn't really there for me. YMMV

If you really need the wood ya but if there is more to be had I would not mess with it, I have wood on my place that I put in the burn pile because I have other options.

Status
Not open for further replies.