Water Softener DIY

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Czech

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
So I have an pretty old EcoWater softener, Series One is what it says on the lid. There are some numbers too, but I'm at work and thought I'd get the discussion going if possible. This unit was made in '91, I've lived in the house since 2001 and no problems. The last couple of weeks it is hitting the strart of the cycle and getting stuck at some point, then goes sits at that point until I advance it or unplug it. Is there any advice for what to look for before I start taking it apart? It does seem to actuate the valves accordingly when I manually cycle it, so I assume the problem is in the gear head? Thanks gang. If I can't get this going I think we'll need to go without for a while, I honestly didn't realize how expensive a good unit is!

Not familiar with EcoWater, but could the valve be sticking when the clock drive tries to do it? They say they live less than 10 years, (and I have confirmed this the hard way).

Anyway, this site was loaded with info and a big help to me in the past:
http://www.Softenerparts.com/default.asp
Can't recall for certain, but I think I bought the new clock drive from them...also at least one of the valves.

Yep, turned out to be the clock drive motor. I love taking stuff apart and figuring it out, the drive gear is obviously not well. Thanks for the link granpa, have the part coming next week. I learned two things this time around, softeners are expensive and our water is much harder than I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.