Water Softener: What's the Best Approach?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
Culligan softener doesn't draw brine-no vacuum. I've tried the usual (blocked venturi, vacuum leak, etc). Something's probably blocked in the control valve body. Anyway, I've finally given up and called Culligan....$143 just to stop on by, no parts!!! With that kind of money, I'm on my way to buying a new control valve. Oh wait, everything with Culligan is proprietary so I guess not. I'm gonna give them one (expensive) chance, and if that doesn't work, it's outa here for something I can buy parts, and get information on maintaining myself.

Any opinions on this?

I had the same problem. I took out the culligan and installed a Morton that I got at Menards for $349. No issues at all ( 5 years now) so I cant speak to parts costs but for what you are going to pay the culligan man,, you can just install a new Morton again! LOL

Do they apply the $143 towards any repairs they make?

I think so. They were supposed to call this afternoon to set up a "3 hour appointment window" for tomorrow, but they never called.

Any one using the water softeners from Lowe's (Whirlpool) or Home Depot (GE) ???

He stopped by. Fixed it (the blue eductor nozzle originally installed in the unit was too small), installed piston kits (some evidence of brine leakage), and replaced the push in bypass valve (bad design) gratis. $305. Guy was knowledgable and professional. Just expensive. Oh well...maybe it'll be good for a few more years now.

Any one using the water softeners from Lowe's (Whirlpool) or Home Depot (GE) ???
I have installed quite a few of the Whirlpool 50,000 grain softners for customers who bought them themselves and did not want to pay the $1200-$2000 for the equipment my suppliers have to offer. They are happy with them. IMHO they are decent units and if they last 5-10 years, you got your monies worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.