Water Softeners in hydronic systems - which one? anybody using them?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveJ

Nov 19, 2007
CO 9000ft
We have really hard water and I have been reading the pros and cons about water softeners.http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/appliances/heating-cooling-and-air/water-heaters/waterheater-tips-205-gas-hot-water-heater-electric-hot-water-heater/overview/.

Wondering if anybody is using the salt type http://www.systemsaver.com/morton-website/product-list/water-softeners.html or magnetic type http://www.magnet4less.com/product_info.php?products_id=34 with any success.

Also, would you plumb the softener before or after the boiler feed?

We have an old Kinetico K-60 salt type unit. I go for the salt type units as the technology is well proven and with a kinetico at least, very inexpensive to operate... For 1500 gallons of water, I didn't even go through one bag of salt.......

Plus, with a kinetico, you never have to wait for it to regenerate. It has two tanks, you run on one while the other regens......

yeah, I agree with Matt

I have a wonderfully reliable gravity flow spring, but its water is nearly as hard as my head.... :)

after talkiing with my boiler mfgr, they said that softened, sodium-abundant water was better than hard water, so I am going to truck fill water from a near relative with a Kinetico softener

If your hardness isnt too bad one of those will help with things like water heater elements but it wont save a flat plate exchanger. As far as what is in the boiler unless you have a really big storage system what is in the boiler will get the scale cooked out quickly and as long as you don't change the boiler water you will be fine.

Any benefit to using distilled water in a closed system?

DenaliChuck said:
Any benefit to using distilled water in a closed system?

similarly- if once could capture and strain rainwater and then adjust the PH, would there be any downside to that?

I install water filter systems and the best bet is get a lab certified water test then call a company you can trust. Some installers here do a onsite test then try to sell you a system that helps their pocketbook more than your water conditions. Systems at Home depot and lowes can work but most of the time you are talking to someone not very informed. I have a low ph and hard water but my system corrects all my issues and I have my fast fill on the filter side to my boiler. We use Water rite filters and have had really good luck over the years and they support their products. Distilled water can be a little aggressive because all the minerals have been stripped out. California used distilled water on brass and the lead leached out to high levels. That was the beginning of the push for lead free brass,etc.

When I first got my system going 5 years ago, I was going through pumps like potato chips. Mostly pumps on the higher temperature loops. I installed a softener and the situation improved but I was still not satisfied with pump longevity. Then I started replacing the pumps with Taco Pumps and there was also an improvement.
While I was researching water softeners for a friend, I came across some "alternate water quality solutions" I say this because only the ion-exchange type (traditional resin/salt combo) actually removes minerals to soften the water. I found the magnetic treatment very interesting. I read up on it and called the company (Clearwater GMX http://clearwatergmx.com/) and spoke to the owner at some length about his product. Their claim, is that the magnetic field keeps the calcium in suspension. I bought a pair of magnets and installed them on my high temperature loop. I noticed that within a day or 2, the water got clearer, but I didn't taste it. I haven't replaced a pump since they were installed. Its a almost year now, maybe a record. I am considering taking my softener out of service and trying the magnets on my domestic water. They offer a money back guarantee if you are not satisfied. The guy told me that they haven't refunded many.

Jersey Bill said:
When I first got my system going 5 years ago, I was going through pumps like potato chips. Mostly pumps on the higher temperature loops. I installed a softener and the situation improved but I was still not satisfied with pump longevity. Then I started replacing the pumps with Taco Pumps and there was also an improvement.
While I was researching water softeners for a friend, I came across some "alternate water quality solutions" I say this because only the ion-exchange type (traditional resin/salt combo) actually removes minerals to soften the water. I found the magnetic treatment very interesting. I read up on it and called the company (Clearwater GMX http://clearwatergmx.com/) and spoke to the owner at some length about his product. Their claim, is that the magnetic field keeps the calcium in suspension. I bought a pair of magnets and installed them on my high temperature loop. I noticed that within a day or 2, the water got clearer, but I didn't taste it. I haven't replaced a pump since they were installed. Its a almost year now, maybe a record. I am considering taking my softener out of service and trying the magnets on my domestic water. They offer a money back guarantee if you are not satisfied. The guy told me that they haven't refunded many.

Do those seriously work as well as the website leads you to believe? I have an old salt style culligan system that doesn't work (I know because I've been here 3 years and never once has the salt level moved) and I would really like to replace it to protect my new furnace and hot water heater. Wondering if this is the way to go...

I too would be interested. Otherwise, I 'd say go Kinetico.... The one I'm using was made in 86 I think, and sat dormant for like, 15 years....... I just hooked her up, checked the calibration, and let her rip. Works like a charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.