Water Storage Ideas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kielka

Dec 23, 2008
Eastern Pa
I've been running a wood gassifier for my 3rd season now and I've always been thinking about water storage but with limited space in the basement and upper cost of some of the systems I was wondering what people may have done for some "homemade" water storage systems.

Try a search here on propane tanks for storage or similiar 7 you should be set for a weeks worth of reading. Enjoy.

There are several designs of the two options available which are closed or open system. Both have some pretty good diy approaches. A search on either item in the "quick search" will start you off pretty good.

kiel said:
I've been running a wood gassifier for my 3rd season now and I've always been thinking about water storage but with limited space in the basement and upper cost of some of the systems I was wondering what people may have done for some "homemade" water storage systems.

(The first step, as you'll hear it over and over here, is to reduce heat load by stopping infiltration, adding insulation, and zoning parts of the house for lower temperature when not in use.)

A couple hundred gallons may be all you need to give you nearly all of the advantages of storage.

You might be surprised how affordable a couple custom built tanks built by a local fabricator might be. All you need is a 10 or 12 gauge box with a sufficient number of cross-ties to comfortably hold 30 psi. Figure out what you can get through the door and where they need to sit, make a drawing, and see what your local fabricator can do for you.

And personally, I believe abandoning an already acquired unpressurized storage vessel and delaying the project until I could find an affordable pressurized solution was the best decision I made.

Contrary to what 'This Old Checkbook' would have you believe, it's not every problem that needs a six-week five-figure solution.

--ewd

Status
Not open for further replies.