Water storage question...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GS7

Dec 14, 2012
Connecticut
Does anyone know if there would be any real difference if I went with 660 or 880 gallons of water storage? Space is limited and it's the difference between 3 tanks or 4.

Does anyone know if there would be any real difference if I went with 660 or 880 gallons of water storage? Space is limited and it's the difference between 3 tanks or 4.

220 gallons :) Storage buys you time between burns and helps eliminate short, inefficient burns. It really comes down to what you system needs are. Total load at design conditions, boiler output, owner participation, and climate to some degree.

220 gallons :) Storage buys you time between burns and helps eliminate short, inefficient burns. It really comes down to what you system needs are. Total load at design conditions, boiler output, owner participation, and climate to some degree.

coldest days last winter were Jan 2nd and Jan 23rd with 24 hour average temperatures of 8 degrees. On those days 24 hr average heating load was about 48,000 BTU/HR. Peak load was about 57,000 BTU/HR

Daily average hourly heating loads over a 70 day heating period from 12/30/13 through 3/7/14 were about 31,000 BTU/HR.

Gasifier will be 30kw

unless you are using low-temp emitters (my knowledge pool is baseboards), that extra 220gals will give you about 73,500BTUs (200-160*F). at that average heat load its an extra hour and a half before your house temp will start to fall. doesnt sound like much of a difference, but its is an extra 33%. at that average temp your storage will take you about 4.5 hours with 660 gallons vs. 6 with 880.
*assume 160*F as min supply temp to emmiters. will be able to go to lower temp if house has excessive lengths of baseboards or oversized heat exchanger. i found that 140* minimum didnt work well for me when it got that cold. either way about it, that 220gals will add 1/3 of the time that you can run on storage.

Reactions: GS7 and hobbyheater
Thanks for all the feedback.
unless you are using low-temp emitters (my knowledge pool is baseboards), that extra 220gals will give you about 73,500BTUs (200-160*F). at that average heat load its an extra hour and a half before your house temp will start to fall. doesnt sound like much of a difference, but its is an extra 33%. at that average temp your storage will take you about 4.5 hours with 660 gallons vs. 6 with 880.
*assume 160*F as min supply temp to emmiters. will be able to go to lower temp if house has excessive lengths of baseboards or oversized heat exchanger. i found that 140* minimum didnt work well for me when it got that cold. either way about it, that 220gals will add 1/3 of the time that you can run on storage.

Can low temp emitters be used in a forced air set up if there's some benefit? How do they work?

Low temp emitters are things like panel radiators, or in-floor heating, or even the big old-time cast iron rads. Forced air needs heat exchangers, and those aren't 'low temp emitters'.

Reactions: GS7
Low temp emitters are things like panel radiators, or in-floor heating, or even the big old-time cast iron rads. Forced air needs heat exchangers, and those aren't 'low temp emitters'.

Low temperature systems work well with large radiant surfaces, floors, ceilings, walls. Tight tube spacing helps a lot also.

For traditional fin tube or radiators you need to "force" convection to increase output, if you want to use low temperature supply.

The industry is responding to installers that want low mass, fast responding heat emitters that can work down to 100°F supply temperatures!

They do this by adding small, quiet muffin style fans. These fan "stacks" can also be modulated with a simple pwm control, change the fan speed as the load changes.

Sure a ducted forced air system could run on low temperature. You would need a very large HX sized to the fluid temperature you chose.

Problem with ducted systems is the heatloss through all that sheetmetal. By the time 100° air reaches the final vents, doesn't feel so warm :)

Not all jobs work well with slow responding, high mass radiant slabs. If your weather changes a lot, low mass fast responders may be a better choice. Radiant ceilings and walls fall somewhere in nthe middle, as far as operating temperatures required.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-08-14 at 2.19.47 PM.png
    Screen shot 2014-08-14 at 2.19.47 PM.png
    118.9 KB · Views: 92
  • Screen shot 2014-08-14 at 2.11.23 PM.png
    Screen shot 2014-08-14 at 2.11.23 PM.png
    61.4 KB · Views: 91
  • Screen shot 2014-08-14 at 2.11.36 PM.png
    Screen shot 2014-08-14 at 2.11.36 PM.png
    66.8 KB · Views: 131
Status
Not open for further replies.