water temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rsnider

Nov 6, 2007
ohio valley
what temps do you set your boiler at 170, 180?
are these temps running to your heat zones : dhw, forced air hx, radiant floor heat?
just wondering.
like to hear from those with storage and no storage on this . thanks

rsnider said:
what temps do you set your boiler at 170, 180?
are these temps running to your heat zones : dhw, forced air hx, radiant floor heat?
just wondering.
like to hear from those with storage and no storage on this . thanks

My EKO controller is set for 180, but I have my NFCS (NoFossil Control System) carefully managing the heat load to attempt to keep the outlet temperature as low as possible except when baseboard zones are calling for heat. Baseboards need high temps to work, but the boiler is more efficient at lower outlet temps.

Also, the %*&^*%$$ EKO controller has a 9 degree deadband built into it. If the outlet temp hits 180, it SHUTS OFF the combustion blower until the outlet drops to 171. Parts of my NFCS control strategy is to prevent that from happening.

rsnider said:
what temp works best for your eko?

As far as combustion efficiency, the EKO doesn't care at all. The only thing that happens is that if the water jacket is cooler, then it can extract more heat out of the flue gas and I lose less up the chimney. This is equally true of all boilers.

I usually end up running it at outlet temperatures in the range of 165-175, except whe the baseboards need heat. Then I run it at 175-178, or as close as I can get it.

I am using the CB e-classic gassifier se tat 176 (due to 180' shut off sensor in DHW tank). Forced hot air in the house and all is working beautifully. Lots of warm air and all kinds of hot water.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I'll pose a variant of the question-- JUST HOW HIGH do I [sensibly] dare run the temp of the boiler (in my case an econoburn, and to-be-running pressurized on the boiler loop) in the interest of trying to push as many BTUs as possible across a flat plate exchanger into my forthcoming unpressurized storage tank (which of course has to stay safely shy of boil at my altitude of about 1000ft above sea level- so I am thinking, _max_ 200F in the storage)

I know that presure and temp inter-relate, and I am not going to start pushing any envelopes too fast-- my boiler upper limit going to stay at 180 until all other kinks are worked out and the whole thing is running well--

--but then, like any mad scientist, I am going to want to try just _a little_ BooWahHaHaHa ... ;)

so I really am curious what the upper limits (sanely speaking) are

thanks

nofossil said:
rsnider said:
what temp works best for your eko?

I usually end up running it at outlet temperatures in the range of 165-175.

I'm getting about the same temps. I did have to move my eko sensor and placed it by the outlet pipe as this gave me more accurate reading but when I finally get my 2-way valve and controller talking together like I want and I get confortable with its use, I'm going to shoot for 180.

im thinking of running 160 since most of my system is radiant floor heat and don't need super hot water. im getting a biomass 40 this Friday.

The MEMCO is tied into my oil boiler. I have a switch that shuts off my oil burner motor. My circulator kicks on at 140F and my dump zone is set at 210F. The oil boiler was set to come on at 160F and kick off at 180F (20F delta-T). My heat is HWBB and 200-205F water in the HWBB will heat my 3,000 sq ft house very quickly!

I have a woodmaster 4400 with the etc box so that I can easily adjust my water temps.

It will shut off the fan at 120 degrees

Factory settings were 160 start fan/fire 170 kill fan/fire 120/kill fan until fire can be restarted

I messed with it some, especially when it is not really cold like 20 or higher w/o wind. If below 20 or windy I put it to factory settings, otherwise I use the following:

140 start fan/fire 150 kill fan/fire 120/kill fan until fire can be restarted

Saves a ton and yes, I mean a ton of wood.

Why use so much energy to keep the water that hot (160-170) when you dont need it?

Status
Not open for further replies.