water to air exchanger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmarv

Oct 29, 2008
MN
I have a corn boiler open system about 35 gallon water with a water to air exchainger in the furnace plenum and a side arm on the water heater.
the exchainger is a cross flow i put the water the lower pipe and take the water off the top one is this correct?
I run the pump all the time to keep the water going to the side arm and the stat turns the furnace blower on.
This is the 4th winter with this setup and it has worked well just wondering if i can make the system better.

Thanks
Jmarv

The best results I have had, and that was getting the information here in the forum, is by putting the boiler HOT supply so it is the last part of the exchanger the air from your furnace blower goes across. As the water goes through the exchanger and the air goes across the exchanger the air gets pre heated by the coolest water so when the warmed air exits the heat exchanger it goes across the hottest part of the exchanger and heats the air to the hottest it can get. The method is called counter-flow. As yet I haven't made the change to my dhw side arm but expect I will have even more hot water than I currently have when I do. Keep warm...

My side arm is after the exchainger and we have plenty of hot water

jmarv

My side arm is first in the set up but only because that is what my supplier suggested. What works is what is important. We have lots of hot water too and that is why I haven't messed with changing the plumbing around. Kind of like spending to get more when you have more than you need. Nice to know though...

Status
Not open for further replies.