Water turbine for low flow home use?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maplewood

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2008
NB Canada
My sister has an overflow from her capped well.
Approximately 20 USGPM, coming from a 2" black APS pipe.
It runs across the ground and joins a stream, about 60' from the well.
Not sure what pressure it would build up to if capped. But it you try to stop the flow with your hand over the outlet, you'll eat a lot of water!

She'd like to use this to generate some power for her small house. Maybe run a little ceramic heater for the winter? 300-1000 watts?

Any suggestions or experience to move this project along? I think the only place we could install this is outside at the overflow.
She's on 6 acres. Private, wooded, outside the city limits. It doesn't have to be pretty, just functional.

Thanks!

Check here: http://www.absak.com/library/hydro-power

You describe relatively high pressure, see the "High Head" section. In Winter you might need an insulated box to keep it from the elements. The water should keep it warm enough not to freeze.

Mike

You may want to check out www.otherpower.com, or it may be theotherpower.com, not sure which. They are a forum all about RE wind water etc. If you join, you could post it in the newbies section. the folks over there are VERY knowledgeable and real nice most of the time. good luck. sounds like a fun project.

zzr7ky said:
Check here: http://www.absak.com/library/hydro-power

You describe relatively high pressure, see the "High Head" section. In Winter you might need an insulated box to keep it from the elements. The water should keep it warm enough not to freeze.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. I've sent an E-mail off to them. I agree the water should keep it above freezing.

mikeyny said:
You may want to check out www.otherpower.com, or it may be theotherpower.com, not sure which. They are a forum all about RE wind water etc. If you join, you could post it in the newbies section. the folks over there are VERY knowledgeable and real nice most of the time. good luck. sounds like a fun project.

Super site - a lot like Hearth.com! Looks like a great knowledge base.
I'll have to spend time searching this site for my application.
Thanks for the link!

I have been on the otherpower for a few yrs now. We have built a few small wind turbines and some solar stuff from the knowledge we gained from that forum. It can get real technical and serious at times but it's a great forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.